Uniting Queenright with Queenless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I want to unite a queenright colony + its supers (BB1 & Supers1) with a queenless colony + its supers (BB2 & Supers2).

Reading BBKA Guide to Beekeeping (2nd ed.) I'm a bit mystified.

The book would suggest that the order from the bottom would be: BB1; newspaper+ QX; BB2; newspaper+ QX; Supers1; newspaper+ QX; Supers2.

That's a lot of newspaper.

I wondered what would be wrong with: BB1; QX; Supers1; newspaper; BB2; Supers2.

In other words leave the queenright colony as it is. Put a newspaper above it and then the second (queenless) colony.

As a second question I have a colony with a new queen just emerged (approx yesterday). Could I unite a queenless colony above it?

Thanks folks.

Hello all,

I want to unite a queenright colony + its supers (BB1 & Supers1) with a queenless colony + its supers (BB2 & Supers2).

Reading BBKA Guide to Beekeeping (2nd ed.) I'm a bit mystified.
Par for the course then. The BBKA mystifies most.
Simple really decide which colony is going to stay in the same spot (let's call it C1) and the other colony C2
remove the crown board off C1, lay a couple of sheets of newspaper over the super(s), put a couple of holes in the paper then put a QX on top. Then place the brood box from C2 over the QX, then QX then the C2 supers. Wait a few days for the colony to unite then consolidate all the boxes.

I wondered what would be wrong with: BB1; QX; Supers1; newspaper; BB2; Supers2.

In other words leave the queenright colony as it is. Put a newspaper above it and then the second (queenless) colony.
Ha! I missed that bit - yes, nothing wrong with that at all
As a second question I have a colony with a new queen just emerged (approx yesterday). Could I unite a queenless colony above it?

I would wait for the queen to mate first

I think this topic is getting way too complicated.

First, I always place the Q+ body on top, not on the bottom. I want the Q+ colony isolated and away from field bees. The Q+ field bees go down through the paper, not the other way around. The Q+ is safe above the paper.

So I would...Remove Q+ hive from Bottom Board. Place Q- BB on Bottom Board. Then newspaper. Then Q+ BB and her super on paper. Bang any bees from Q- supers, and place the 2 supers on Q+ super. Dump the old Q- bees that were shaken from the supers on the ground in front of the entrance.

Anyway, that's just me...

I think this topic is getting way too complicated.

First, I always place the Q+ body on top, not on the bottom. I want the Q+ colony isolated and away from field bees. The Q+ field bees go down through the paper, not the other way around. The Q+ is safe above the paper.

So I would...Remove Q+ hive from Bottom Board. Place Q- BB on Bottom Board. Then newspaper. Then Q+ BB and her super on paper. Bang any bees from Q- supers, and place the 2 supers on Q+ super. Dump the old Q- bees that were shaken from the supers on the ground in front of the entrance.

Anyway, that's just me...
Now that's turning simple into a bit more complicated IMO

Latest posts

Back