Uniting hives but moving the queenright one

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furrybean

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ive got a swarm that's building up and a queenless colony

How bad would it be to unite them on the site of the queenless colony as that is where I want them to be located ultimately

Thanks

After you have checked that they are disease free and treated for varroa. You can move them by a variety of methods.

Would it be okay to place the queen right colony on top of the queen less?

From what I have read the queenless colony goes on top but the size of the colony has to be taken into account and if there are enough stores to feed the colony. So my guess would be queenless on top if not enough food for a few days light syrup feed for this colony, newspaper underneeth this colony and make pinprick holes in the paper to give the bees a start on breaking through. Swarm colony underneath so they can forage.

So to recap. Check and treat for varroa and disease first.
Move Swarm colony closer, the norm is 3 feet per day, or close up at night and then move, some bees will go back to the old site then beg to be let in to the closest hive.
Move the Q- colony to one side.
Place the new colony brood box on the site.
Put a Q.ex. on top of BB
Put a super on top of the Q.ex. brood box.
Cover with a sheet of news paper or two sheets stuck together with tape if too small
Sit old BB on top of the new and put feed on if necessary or replace supers with stores on top of the whole and top off with a cover board and roof.

It really makes no difference which way you do it. Lately, I put the Q+ underneath as there is less chance of overheating the bottom box with the precious q in it.
Cazza

It really makes no difference which way you do it. Lately, I put the Q+ underneath as there is less chance of overheating the bottom box with the precious q in it.
Cazza

:iagree: Although the preference seems to be Q- on top, i have seen it work perfectly well the other way

Last edited:
:iagree: too
Doesn't seem to make much difference.
Put a travel screen on top if you think there might be temperature issues but I should imagine your colony might be through the newspaper in a day, mine always have.

Latest posts

Back