If you unite hives do you ever end up with 2 laying queens?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I have a bunch of hives to unite this autumn. I've always culled one queen prior to unites but have no real preference for some. If you unite 2 queenright hives do they always reduce to one, or do two occasionally stay laying?
Also, how often do they both die & leave you with none?!

So does this result in one massive scrap until one of the queens is killed, or is it more subtle, and the non victorious queen is booted out, game over? :unsure:

I,m reducing from five hives to three ,always thought that you had to dispatch one queen but this makes it a lot easier.

Never done it, I presume you do a paper or spray unite and hope for the best.

Always... no such word in the beekeeping world. Bees do nothing invariably though is safe to say.

PH

Interesting - I'd always understood they fought. Where did you find this out?

Sealey probably but I can’t be sure.
Think about it
Would bees from one colony allow a foreign queen to walk about unmolested till she found the other to fight?

Think about it
Would bees from one colony allow a foreign queen to walk about unmolested till she found the other to fight?
I plan reducing 3 to 2 after treatments etc so this thread is very helpful. To be clear, I just pop 1 BB on the other with paper between and no QE? After how long will it be before its 1 united colony, and what about reducing to 1 BB for winter? (shake them in to 1 box? put QE back on and wait for 1 box to empty?)

Think about it
Once the colony odours have mingled adequately I don't know!
I've often wondered what allows superceding queens and their mothers to coexist happily & whether it could be reproduced.

Latest posts

Back