How Do You Inspect Your Double Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As the title states, what’s the best approach? I made up 2 double broods about a month ago. To date, in order not to disturb the hive too much (new queens introduced, one via nuc and another via cage), I’ve just looked in the top box, either spotted the queen or seen BIAS so left the bottom box alone. Do you always look in both boxes or, if you’re satisfied with what you see in the top box, you leave the bottom box alone?

During swarm season (nearly over now) you will need to check every frame carefully but you should be ok with new queens at least until next year.

You can put a piano hinge on and open the boxes like a car bonnet.
I just put the roof down on the floor for the supers and the crownboard to put the upper brood on while I inspect the lower.
Understandable wanting to leave them to settle in and you can just stop the inspection once you've seen stores and eggs but it's easy to get caught out by a problem lurking further within.
Your call....

Last edited:
I rarely look in the bottom box if double brood or brood and a half. A few frames of the top box usually reassures me of all that I need to know.
I never check the bottom box but I am prepared to risk a swarm. Queen cells are 'likely' to be between the two boxes as this is a useful space in safety. In a single brood box that would be too close to the entrance.

satisfied with what you see in the top box, you leave the bottom box alone
More or less.

If you find QCs in the top then a thorough search of both is wise: invert roof, supers on it, then QX, then BB1. Check BBs separately and then reassemble.

It pays to swap boxes at certain times - early spring, for example - if one is emptier and you want bees to use the space better.

Generally early on I will check both boxes for brood increase and room , once we get to mid June and from then on I only check the top box for QC's .
If I see no QC's in the top or between the two boxes then the bottom is left alone for much longer.

As the title states, what’s the best approach? I made up 2 double broods about a month ago. To date, in order not to disturb the hive too much (new queens introduced, one via nuc and another via cage), I’ve just looked in the top box, either spotted the queen or seen BIAS so left the bottom box alone. Do you always look in both boxes or, if you’re satisfied with what you see in the top box, you leave the bottom box alone?
I clip my queens so can afford to sometimes do a v quick inspection. Generally I look through both boxes in May -mid June when swarming is at its peak. Thereafter I tilt the 2 boxes and lightly smoke between the 2 boxes, to mice the bees out the way, if there are no queen cells I pick a couple of frames in the middle of the top box for a quick check and then leave them to it.

Back