unhatched brood becoming uncapped

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderplantman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Firstly, hi, I'm new here, sorry for lurking a little while, didn't want to jump in all boisterously and that.

My wife and I have 4 hives in rural Suffolk. During a routine inspection this weekend we discovered several clumps of what looks like previously capped brood becoming uncapped. You can see their white heads poking through, obviously not fully formed yet. As we watched, we saw some worked bees remove one of the grubs, and then put it back in the cell.

Does anyone know what it might be that's causing it? It's not a huge amount of cells affected, just some on one colony.

Photo and video below. Queen just about present under another bee's bum just above centre of pic! Also, just above and to the left of the queen is a bee with a varroa mite on it. We haven't seen much of that in this colony, but this shows they are present. I don't know if that's related to this or not?

Any clues?

Video here

IMG_6188.jpg

The bees are detecting pupae infested with varroa.
If you are seeing varroa actually on the bees the colony has a severe infestation and although the bees are already trying their best you have to do something about it now.
If they are working in straight lines you have wax moth.

This particular colony was a colony bought hive, bees, lock, stock from a private seller in Norfolk who has discovered his little girl was anaphylactic back in June and had to give up looking after them. He said he had last treated for Varroa at Christmas, and gave me his leftover MAQS strips as part of the deal (not sure yet if I'm going to use them). The bee inspector we had round to check them for AFB/EFB etc said he really had looked after them and she was impressed. Haven't checked for mite drop since we got them in June, but we've been looking by eye and haven't seen any varraosis (sp?) to speak of. That bee with the mite on it in the photo is the first we've seen. Was planning an Apivar in Sept followed by Oxy in Dec, but if you suspect a big infestation, happy to use the MAQS he gave me as an emergency treatment.

Supers are still on and I didn't think it was ok to use Apivar with supers on. This is 1 of 4 colonies I have, the other 3 seems to be tickety-boo, although I have to admit, this colony does seem to be down on numbers compared to the others and isn't as productive.
Worried about MAQS as heard they have to stay on for 2 weeks, and if we have another heatwave in that time it can kill the Queen, who in herself is laying very well, lots of brood in all stages. Granted, we're now in late August, so it's probably not likely, but who the hell knows? Is it worth the risk?

Yes, remove your supers and give them the Apivar now. Remember, they need to be in the brood box for six to eight weeks - and it's getting colder. Also, you want to protect your winter bees as much as possible. Read articles on The Apiarist particularly these two here - about Apivar, and here, on when to treat.

Coming in little lines line that it look to me more like classic wax moth larvae damage to the brood. It doesn’t rule out the possibility of varroa issues, or combination of factors, but looks quite distinctive to my inexpert eye. As previously suggested, the dead bee pupae are then uncapped and removed regardless of the cause of mortality.

In the video there seemed to be several traces like the one in the photo on that frame - if that’s true across all of the frames then the colony is not managing to keep under control.

... Also, just above and to the left of the queen is a bee with a varroa mite on it. We haven't seen much of that in this colony, but this shows they are present. ...

There's another bee with a Varroa mite: second bee from the bottom, bottom righthand corner. So, two mites in one picture. There are probably more mites in the colony than you thought.

... the dead bee pupae are then uncapped and removed regardless of the cause of mortality. ...

These pupae aren't dead.

Hi all,

Firstly, hi, I'm new here, sorry for lurking a little while, didn't want to jump in all boisterously and that.

My wife and I have 4 hives in rural Suffolk. During a routine inspection this weekend we discovered several clumps of what looks like previously capped brood becoming uncapped. You can see their white heads poking through, obviously not fully formed yet. As we watched, we saw some worked bees remove one of the grubs, and then put it back in the cell.

Does anyone know what it might be that's causing it? It's not a huge amount of cells affected, just some on one colony.

Photo and video below. Queen just about present under another bee's bum just above centre of pic! Also, just above and to the left of the queen is a bee with a varroa mite on it. We haven't seen much of that in this colony, but this shows they are present. I don't know if that's related to this or not?

Any clues?

Video here

View attachment 21717
Looks like bald brood, if it's only in small patches it's likely caused by wax moth larvae. The brood continues to develop normally. I've had this a few times. Just keep an eye on the unsealed brood for any other signs of disease?

Thanks all, really, really appreciated. We're attempting to rule out the varroa aspect first, so we've applied the MAQS strips we had already, and those get taken off in 7 days time.

Presumably if that's not the trick, and it is wax moth, then we just remove the affected frames and put them in the freezer for a couple of days before putting them back in the brood box?

... We're attempting to rule out the varroa aspect first ...

Presumably if that's not the trick, and it is wax moth, then we just remove the affected frames and put them in the freezer for a couple of days before putting them back in the brood box?

You have Varroa, SPM.

If the uncapping is due to wax moth, then I don't think it's too serious, and the colony, which is a strong colony, will sort it out.

Yep, agreed. That's a relief then. Hoping the MAQS will sort out the varroa without killing queen/supercedure/removal of brood.

Ugh, and so because with MAQS you have to remove the entrance reducers (so as to ventilate) that we had to protect from the wasps, the evil ones are having an absolute robbing field-day, in and out of the hive as you please, in their tens, twenties.

It's not easy, this, is it?

The hive has a mesh floor, if I put the entrance reducer back in to stymie the wasps, anyone reckon the floor will provide enough ventilation against the formic acid in the MAQS building up?

Ugh, and so because with MAQS you have to remove the entrance reducers (so as to ventilate) that we had to protect from the wasps, the evil ones are having an absolute robbing field-day, in and out of the hive as you please, in their tens, twenties.

It's not easy, this, is it?

The hive has a mesh floor, if I put the entrance reducer back in to stymie the wasps, anyone reckon the floor will provide enough ventilation against the formic acid in the MAQS building up?
Yes. Put the reducer back. With a mesh floor it hardly makes a difference.

Thank you everyone, I really, really am very grateful for the help and advice you given me here. Reducer back on. Bees have a fighting chance now.

These pupae aren't dead.

My error, you’re absolutely right. Without giving it too much thought I have always presumed bald brood pupae were casualties of the moth larvae damage, but it appears that most develop normally to mature adults.

Latest posts

Back