Two Dead Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eye for an eye, he would lose something he treasures. I hope the police do a bit more than they have so far.

Quite honestly I'm rather suprised they have even done that much.

Plant some cannabis in his garden.

Thanks for the input. There was exit/ventilation exits at the top of the hive so air could flow. I will wait until I get back and see if something looks amiss

Denise - I agree with all of the above!
1. Contact local newspaper, a great story in there (I'm ex local paper journo)
2. Ask police - via bee inspector (more official) to ask them to search the property to check for similar substances as he could use it to kill someone (accidentally on purpose - dangerous substances issue).
3. Put up post in front garden informing people what he's done.
4. Make his life a misery - any local beekeepers might want to leaflet him with beekeeping information.
4. I did not say any of the above or suggest it, of course!

2. Ask police - via bee inspector (more official) to ask them to search the property to check for similar substances as he could use it to kill someone (accidentally on purpose - dangerous substances issue).
4. Make his life a misery - any local beekeepers might want to leaflet him with beekeeping information.

Trouble is ... people that do this sort of thing are nutters and responding in a like for like manner inevitably escalates things and all of a sudden THEY become the victim not the perpetrator.

Hopefully, introducing the police into the issue will have given him the shock he needs to stop anything further happening. Was this just an isolated incident or has he got form for complaining about your bees ?

If you contact the local paper, say that "someone" has attacked your bees. They'll not name him unless the police prosecute, and may be put off the story.

Press the police to do more. Like most public officials, many of them are looking for a quiet life. Ask them if the neighbour denied that you saw him climbing out of your garden, or if he gave an innocent explanation like "I was just rescuing a kitten that had got stuck up a tree in her garden". And bang on about the monetary value of your bees and equipment.

Definitely don't put up a notice in your garden. That will make you look like a nutter.

Let other beeks, and all your friends and neighbours know about his actions. He won't like people whispering about him when he goes to buy his copy of The Sun.

How long have you had bees in your garden, and how long have you lived next door to him? What was your relationship with him like before? Has he ever said anything to you about them? It is possible that his infant child had been stung be some flying creature just 20 minutes before, and he was acting in temper, blaming your bees and vowing to get rid of them.

Neighbour disputes can be very profitable, sorry, I mean expensive. Talking/resolving is a better way forward than any of the above, if it is at all possible.

Last edited:
hi pargyle he as already had pest control round saying my bees have swarmed into his garden and they were agressive mines not the pest control bloke at a lokk at mine and he said they was not mine but there was no sign of bees in his garden .then he showed this man his arm saying he as had a lot of sting from them but what they were was scratches off garden fence

police have been to see him he as denied it but the police could tell he was lying as they said he was very nervous sweating and shaking but they could not get hin to confess

That's the trouble with modern policing and the Police and criminal Evidence Act.
In the good old days they would have beaten it out of him :)

hi thorn this happened at 8.15 am i had just come home from work had bees since last november and he seemed a decent bloke rest of the people in that little estate only about 10 houses dint know i had bees but i think i woke them all up on sunday with f and bs i was shouting but whats making me mad now is i saw part of his body going over fence and cant do a thing about it but i believe in peeing in wind if you know what i mean

Dog poo in a brown paper bag, knock on his door, when you hear him come to answer, set it alight and pop it through his letterbox - he sees flaming package on his doormat and stamps on it to put out the flames (make sure dog poo is nice and gloopy BTW) Doesn't solve anything, but makes you smile for a minute.:reddevil:

Difficult to say, bees will cope OK with those temperatures even in full sun providing as you say there was plenty of available water ALTHOUGH it may be that with three supers on it wasn't possible to get the air flow required and that as the top super started to fail it brought the house down so to speak.

Chris

if sustianed above 40C add insulation and and close bottom entrance. Then the hive collects the cooled air from water evaporation. You reduce heat gain from outside air with the insulation.

Dog poo in a brown paper bag, knock on his door, when you hear him come to answer, set it alight and pop it through his letterbox - he sees flaming package on his doormat and stamps on it to put out the flames (make sure dog poo is nice and gloopy BTW) Doesn't solve anything, but makes you smile for a minute.:reddevil:

Bl**dy hell, JBM, I wonder about you sometimes! Aren't you a local government official? I would have had some of my nastiest bees in the brown paper bag.

Adding matchsticks and top ventilation I don't think would work, what you would do is create a chimney that draws in the hot outside air, making it harder for the bee's to keep it cool. You need to paint the hives white, and or add some reflective insulation.

I am very sorry to hear about the bee's being sprayed off, something I am very lucky not to have is neighbours, bide your time an opportunity will arise to get revenge. But in the mean time definitely get the papers involved, honey bee protection is big news at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make front page on a local paper!

C B

Latest posts

Back