Treatment of cedar hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What is the best treatment to keep cedar hives waterproof ive heard linseed oil is good.

Never had any of mine leaking. Never treated them with anything either. Different, if a wood other than cedar.

RAB

I've used cuprinol clear on the outside of most of them... but then when there was a bit of a question mark about it, I stopped and used vaseline for some instead and recently I have used a linseed/beeswax mixture.

Nowt except fresh air and a blow torch, except a carnie X hive that gets a bit of beeswax homemade vaseline on the crown board over winter, otherwise they propolise it down better than evostick

Last edited:
Don’t bother yourself with treating cedar hives!! Worry about the woody wood pecker it’s become a pest this year knocking holes right though the hive and frames, 14 hives costing £300 each are now firewood going back to plywood.bee-smillie

I treated 2 with cuprinol clear (B4 they changed the formula!)
will have another in the spring (thanks pete) think i'll try that 1 untreated.

Clive,

14 hives costing £300 each are now firewood

I would likely offer 'firewood' prices for them. Can you describe them more fully, please?

Regards, RAB

I use raw (not boiled) lindseed oil and give two coats. It definitely makes them look better and shoudl ensure a longer life

I use raw linseed out side only, if not treated new ceder goes silver gray in color and tends to crack in time, the linseed put's oils back in too the dry wood and so it keeps it's color for longer and keep's water out, Vaseline on runners and joining surfaces.

John :party:

I use raw (not boiled) lindseed oil and give two coats. It definitely makes them look better and shoudl ensure a longer life

Is the difference between raw and boiled simply that boiled dries quicker?

********** is the best homeopathic bee ********** can be useful in the cases like swelling, Pain, Itching, Burning, Stinging, skin Sensitivity and in light sensitivity.

Think your on the wrong horse buddy :eek:.
Read the thread , we're talking about the treatment of wooden bee hives :D

John W

Originally Posted by anabush
***********is the best homeopathic bee hives treatment. ********** can be useful in the cases like swelling, Pain, Itching, Burning, Stinging, skin Sensitivity and in light sensitivity.
double entendre meter off the scale!!!

The difference between the two is that the boiled does dry quicker, which when used on wood puts a skin on the surface and in time flakes, (it is used in french polishing among other things),

John :)

ermm did I miss the thread on cuprinol clear changing its contents, if so whats wrong with it now and when did they change the formula as i've just bought a gurt tin of the stuff.

ermm did I miss the thread on cuprinol clear changing its contents, if so whats wrong with it now and when did they change the formula as i've just bought a gurt tin of the stuff.

Theres a sticky with info from HRP and others on what to paint your hive with and why etc . . . think in there it says that it stated it was bee friendly but they have changed formulas and now its not. but you would have to check.

Essentially the formula seemed to change early 2010. It is probably no less bee friendly, but Cuprinol haven't spent the money in testing to be able to say so. Their business is after all, coatings and not bees.

If anyone has used Cuprinol Clear and bought it since mid 2010, can they report their experience for the benefit of other forum members.

They did always suggest that a six week airing period was recommended I understand.

Question, If a product like Cuprinol Clear is used 50:50 with white spirit, can I assume that in, say pine, that the rate of absorption is likely to be increased and the drying period reduced? The dose of CC is also likely to be reduced?

In these times of regulation, I can imagine that the product is no less bee friendly, but of course I don't know that - YET?

I have a can of 2009 Cuprinol Clear, so won't be any the wiser personally for a while yet.

it is the same chemicals but in a different combination, the old tins have green band at the bottom and the new cans have a blue band

one of the chemicals has been reduced and the other increased The one that;s increase is allowed as a fungicide in plastic meat food containers

i would think it is safe but !!!!!!

wickes presevative that used to be ok as well is nolonger bee safe as it now contains a pesticide

Last edited:
If the formula changed early 2010 I think I should be okay as my hive was painted up in march that year with the stuff and bees seem to be fine.

Latest posts

Back