Treating bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfitz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only just getting around to treating my bees now for Varoa and wondering for this time of the year with the weather getting cold what would the best treatment, in previous years I've always treated in the first week in September

Oxalic acid vaporisation.

Not if they have any sense ... who in their right mind opens the hive in midwinter and tips syrup and OA over the bees ?

Totally agree. Wouldn't be happy if someone lifted the roof of my house middle of winter and poured something over me.
Vape every time.

Finman?
LASI? .....

Lots of people still trickle, its quick and easy. Popping a lid for less than a minute during the winter is going to make no difference to the bees.
The only problem with it is it's not very trendy.

Exactly ... I suspect many more trickle than 'vape' ... and at least as many again don't do anything at all in midwinter.

I suspect the BKF doesn't really reflect a true cross-section of UK beekeeping.

Not if they have any sense ... who in their right mind opens the hive in midwinter and tips syrup and OA over the bees ?

In Finland trickling is most popular, and will be. Easy and safe to beekeepers.

Mites are better on bees than oxalic acid, Pargyle should think so. Like Pargyle teaches, do nothing. Do not even open hives in midsummer, when you should inspect swarming.

Mites are most easy to kill on midwinter, when there are no brood. That is the Key in trickling.
20 seconds.. The method is very succesfull, as you know, who have used ut.

Last edited:
In Finland it is most popular, and will be. Easy and safe to beekeeper.

Mites are better on bees than oxalic acid, you should think so.

Mites are most easy to kill on midwinter, when there are no brood. That is the Key in trickling.
20 seconds.. The method is very succesfull, as you know, who have used ut.

The thing is you can vape them without opening anything up and kill varroa mite easy. Why stay in the dark ages . ?

Lasi Man counted mites after 2 weeks trickling. He should know that mites drop after a month. Odd researching.

The thing is you can vape them without opening anything up and kill varroa mite easy. Why stay in the dark ages . ?

To open the cover is so difficult? Really?

.. Dark ages...

One of these dark moments with Miller Darling.

Last edited:
Exactly ... I suspect many more trickle than 'vape' ... and at least as many again don't do anything at all in midwinter.

I suspect the BKF doesn't really reflect a true cross-section of UK beekeeping.
I agree.

Vaping isn't as practical and I don't suspect it's an option if you have a good number of hives.

Vaping isn't as practical and I don't suspect it's an option if you have a good number of hives.

Depends what you class as a good number of hives...more than five thousand perhaps?

Same guys are debating again.

Vaping is 40 years old method and trickling 20years old.

And stil debating....

Miller knew nothing about varroa a year ago, and now he is Dark Age Agent Nro II.
Good.

Do not even open hives in midsummer, when you should inspect swarming.

You really do talk some rubbish .... I inspect regularly during the swarming season and take whatever steps are necessary to prevent swarming. I keep my bees in my garden - my neighbours would not thank me for swarms leaving my hives any more than I would wish to lose half my lovely, well looked after and cossetted bees.

I really wish you would stop suggesting that I am a leave alone beekeeper - nothing could be further from the truth ...

Latest posts

Back