Transporting queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.S

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
More than I used to have.
I have got a half dozen qc's to transport to an apiary 30 mins from home, how do you do this without causing damage to them? Hopefully temperature shouldn't be too much of a problem at this time of year.

I have got a half dozen qc's to transport to an apiary 30 mins from home, how do you do this without causing damage to them? Hopefully temperature shouldn't be too much of a problem at this time of year.

I have a block of insulation with holes cut for the queen cells that sits in a poly fish box above a hot water bottle and a damp towel.
For just half a dozen I think a wrap of cotton wool in the top pocket would be fine.

Thanks for that - the top pocket and cotton wool idea sounds perfect. Must be careful with the seat belt though!

I new a lady beek once who would pop a few into her bra.......I kid you not!!

I have a block of insulation with holes cut for the queen cells that sits in a poly fish box above a hot water bottle and a damp towel.
For just half a dozen I think a wrap of cotton wool in the top pocket would be fine.

Top pocket wrapped in cotton wool substandard as the cells should be transported
upright to avoid damage.

Yep, bra is useful, but I once got stung by a queen I was holding in a cage!

Queen cells-- I always keep a little plastic box with kitchen roll in. AND I pop extra paper between the cells to keep separate as the queens do hatch quickly when away from the house bees, and one hatching can kill other unhatched queens nearby.

I never bother to keep upright particularly, just warm and not 'jostled'. They go more to original position once in the incubator.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the answer - take the wife with me!

Latest posts

Back