Too late for a super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a colony that was split from my main hive on July 9 this year.

It has always been strong, and when I had a quick look this week to make sure all was well and to check if they needed feeding I found that they had completely filled 10 brood frames There is plenty of stores and there was still a lot of capped brood, including a few drone cells and lots of larvae.

Over the past few days both hives have been mega busy in the sunshine.

My question is - should I add a super for them to start to store excess honey and allow the queen more space to lay those all so important winter bees, or am I better off just leaving them be at this time of the year?

The original hive has a super that is almost completely filled but only about 30% capped.

We are based in Manchester in case that makes a difference

Thanks

Andy

Is it an Ivy flow? Ivy nectar has a very strong medicinal smell and taste. I suppose you could stick a super on but many don't, including me because I dont like the taste. You also have to very careful because it sets very fast and very hard. Much faster than OSR.

Let them fill it... super it off then nadir it back to them.
will save having to feed so much and will give you a good start for a proper yield of tasty honey for next year... as long as they do not get to the mazola OSR!!

Mytten da

It doesn't appear to be, it has the same consistency as it has had all year round. There have been lots of bees arriving absolutely covered in what appear to be white pollen, which I think may be balsam?

Andy

Bound to be himalayan balsam - mine are like ghosts too for that reason. Super if you think the single BBs(?) have insufficient room for the Q to lay, assuming she is still doing so, but lmove it under the BB (no QE) for the bees to use over the next 6 months as they might need it more than you. Over to you.

Last edited:
What ever happens, it is time to prepare hive for winter.
When you have had one box, it is absolutely sure that the colony does not need second box for Winter.

Put it under the bb empty. If they need it they will use it. Remove it in spring.
E

What is the difference between an empty brood box and a mesh floor? Nil. The heat rises, they will move upwards as the winter progresses.
E

It depends on the size of your brood box. If it is a standard deep then it is quite possible they need more room for stores/brood. If it is one of the larger boxes, i.e a 14x12 then you should be fine.

Do you have drawn combs? If not will they draw combs at this time of year?

Putting undrawn combs under the brood box wouldn't help in wax drawing as they would not get any benefit from the heat rising as when you normally place a super to draw above the brood box.

Night time temperatures are dropping even though days are still quite nice.

There is of course only one way to find out if they'll draw comb this time of year and that's to put some on.

I wouldn't add a super for honey this time of year, priorities are getting bees ready for winter, varroa treatment and feeding. After all the beekeeping season starts in autumn, what condition the bees are sent into the winter reflects how good they are next spring.

So many differing opinions !

Mine. Your already well stocked for winter and can feed as necessary also.

Of course try, no drama if does not materialize into drawn filled super frames, if does not whip off before temps plummet. All areas can differ and do differ.

Yeah!. Forget all basi knowledge about wintering. New winds are blowing.
Ochtober is just fine time to give super and draw foundations.

I had yesterday 6 box hive and now it is in one box. I took yesterday honey from it 70 kg.

No supers over or under. Only one Langstroth. Today I give to it 15 litres syrup.

I had yesterday 6 box hive and now it is in one box. I took yesterday honey from it 70 kg.

No supers over or under. Only one Langstroth. Today I give to it 15 litres syrup.

For real? Are you harvesting the honey this late?

How are thay able to ripen the syrup when temps go under 10 celsius next week?

Yeah!. Forget all basi knowledge about wintering. New winds are blowing.
Ochtober is just fine time to give super and draw foundations.

Not in this part of the world. No way foundation will be drawn in October.

Latest posts

Back