Too early to split?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:

I'm also a bit concerned with this fad of 'splitting' the colony at the least excuse, whether it's to make increase or avoid (m.ake note - not control) swarm preparations.
There comes a time when you have to work with your bees, not against. Just splitting for the sake of it is just going to end up with weaker colonies and badly mated or poor queens.
Reminds me of a comment Finnie made a few years ago about the very same subject.
Split splat splot!!​
I agree, although not sure who would split just for fun? My reason to split would be to increase qty of hives , I have 2 in garden and plan to increase to 8 before end of year from my original 2 and local swarms. I have 2 out apiary's sourced so plan is x4 in garden and x2 in each out apiary. usual precautions will be taken regarding splits and taking local swarms such as ensuring adequate resources for each split, Varroa treatment for swarms, not going down the breed or source queen for temperament etc route rather allow local bees to decide on their queens , These strategies may well change with further experience going forward.

Attachments

• drone8.jpg
    drone8.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
Yea also wanting to increase. It felt quite brutal and can imagine I'd seek to avoid where possible rather than join a fad going forward. Thanks Enrico, you answered another question I had re cups Vs developed cells.
I'm thinking more I wish I'd waited, let's see. ����

Bugs and Camey
Have you both got lots of drones on the combs, and I mean lots?
Drones take 16 days to mature before they are out to fly.
I wouldn’t be splitting till the boxes are stuffed with bees, there are drones flying and you have a couple of supers on and being worked.
Or wait to AS reactively.

Drones a plenty. 2 full capped combs of them last week - mostly emerged today. Seems to be some variability in post emergence drone maturity advice - I've also seen 6 days quoted.

Neil

Drones a plenty. 2 full capped combs of them last week - mostly emerged today. Seems to be some variability in post emergence drone maturity advice - I've also seen 6 days quoted.

Neil

BBKA reckons it’s 10 days before drones reach sexual maturity.

Drone maturity

12/16 days
Dave Cushman’s site says 14 days with at least five good flying days to achieve the strength to join DCAs

There comes a time when you have to work with your bees, not against. Just splitting for the sake of it is just going to end up with weaker colonies and badly mated or poor queens.

Well the hive in my original post does seem to want to swarm. Three more charged Q cells today. 2 supers being filled but with room.

At least the drones are flying around here now and the Q in question was mated in early May 2018 so not far off that now.

Well the hive in my original post does seem to want to swarm. Three more charged Q cells today. 2 supers being filled but with room.

At least the drones are flying around here now and the Q in question was mated in early May 2018 so not far off that now.

Ah well if you have swarm cells it’s no contest. You have to AS somehow.

Hi Camey, how did it go? Also in my second year and split them today. Last week they had loads of everything - today less stored and loads (and loads of drone comb). I moved some combs around last week you encourage them build - which they've done in spades but I think now that was a mistake as I also decided to split this week. I suppose I had the option of waiting but for the 1st time I saw Queen cups - few at bottom of combs and at least one in a supercedure mid frame spot - so recon I did the right think.... maybe.
It felt like a brutal process - fingers crossed.
HI BIAB,
So .. Split x1 hive today! Decided to be ready for either adding super or splitting dependent on what I observed during inspection. Nice sunny day, buckfast bees very calm and content bringing in loads of pollen/nectar. Inspection revealed more bees than at height of summer last year. all lovely calm bees, no sign of disease, all 11 frames completely rammed with bees, 2, 3 deep, and hanging of bottom. All frames loaded with eggs, larva, stores, plenty drones rummaging around and drone cells, signs of them considering swarming. So took the plunge and split, first time doing it, just concentrated on staying calm and moving slowly, gentle smoke as required. Queen sighted and safely on original hive. So split done, fingers crossed, plan to check second hive tomorrow and again split if similar.

Why are you splitting the hive? Do you want the increase.

Latest posts

Back