TOMA Pens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
seeing as queen marking is the dish of the day, just thought I'd mention a few things I've found with TOMA pens - not going to wax lyrical or criticise as I'm still undecided but
Be careful with the lids, they're a bit of a stiff fit but often you think they've clicked closed when actually the haven't and then come adrift later in your pocket, not just leaving a coloured 'wembley' on your suit but leaving the nib clarted up with congealed paint, so well worth using two hands and giving the lid and pen a positive push together when finished
However, if you find the nib getting so clarted or worn/burred which makes marking a bit of a pain, just hold the nib between finger and thumb whilst holding the pen vertically with the tip uppermost in the other hand and pull, the whole nib comes out (it's not very long) and is reversible giving you a fresh unworn tip with the 'old' tip now being shoved up inside the body of the pen

I like toma pens and started using them after recommendations here, the paint lasts well and there’s some good stand out colours.

Another great and under-used word from JBM "clarted", my Yorkshire half of the family would recognise it! (y)

Reminds myself of a book I read as a teenager, "Clarts and Calamities " a year in the life of a sheep farmer, written as a diary . I bought it from the farmers weekly and laughed from the first to the Last page.

seeing as queen marking is the dish of the day, just thought I'd mention a few things I've found with TOMA pens - not going to wax lyrical or criticise as I'm still undecided but
Be careful with the lids, they're a bit of a stiff fit but often you think they've clicked closed when actually the haven't and then come adrift later in your pocket, not just leaving a coloured 'wembley' on your suit but leaving the nib clarted up with congealed paint, so well worth using two hands and giving the lid and pen a positive push together when finished
However, if you find the nib getting so clarted or worn/burred which makes marking a bit of a pain, just hold the nib between finger and thumb whilst holding the pen vertically with the tip uppermost in the other hand and pull, the whole nib comes out (it's not very long) and is reversible giving you a fresh unworn tip with the 'old' tip now being shoved up inside the body of the pen
I've now had 6 Toma pens over the last 3 years (I tend to buy a spare each year) and haven't had any of your problems JBM...... interesting

Another great and under-used word from JBM "clarted", my Yorkshire half of the family would recognise it! (y)
We also have "clemmed" as in a thirsty traveller entering a hostelry, walking up to the bar and uttering the words "can I have a pint please - I'm fair clemmed?"

Did you know you could swap the nib around?
Thanks, JBM. Just fished a Toma Fine pen from the recycling box and turned the nib around; it undried the ink and will keep me going (lost all the others).

Had high hopes for Toma and tried 3 different models, but in the end decided they had failings similar to the Posca: either drying up or flooding (especially in hot weather).

Main irritation with Toma is that nibs fluff up long before the pen is empty; the Fine Toma was the worst for this, and really no better than the standard nib. I use them to mark poly hive roofs so they work harder than when marking queens; discovered that heavy rain will wash most of it off.

In 2021 Laurence's Black Mountain Honey roundup video slagged off (quite rightly) the Posca and suggested Toma or UniPaint, but a 2022 video recommended the Zeyar, oil-based, free of xylene and non-toxic with fine nibs. Pack of 18 works out at £1 a pen, though on eBay individual pens work out at £2.39 delivered.

Sounds like the pens we used to use in work, they last longer if you turn the nib regularly and don't allow it to get too messy. Even that didn't save them as they usually became unable to use long before they were empty.

Yeah the yellow I'm using this year is very good but last years white seems to get dirty and hard to see.
Just had to remark last years white on a couple of queens using Toma. Still a real improvement on Posca. This years yellow looks great.

Latest posts

Back