To split or go double brood box?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPMoody

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 (and a nuc!)
The 6-frame nuc I obtained 5 weeks ago is (I think) is going great guns. The remaining frames downstairs have been drawn out and are full and the super is filling up very fast (about 8 frames at various stages - one or two starting to get capped off).

Two weeks ago I discovered one (what Mr Hooper calls) incipient queen cell, with no egg in it. I removed it, but found one last week (removed) and one again yesterday, all with nothing in it.

Chatting with my local association 'mentor', we chatted about adding another brood box or creating a nuc, his (and my at the time) preference being the nuc option. Doing some surfing when I got home, I've found most opinion seems to be again forcing emergency queen cells and not many advocating splitting such a young hive. Whilst an 'insurance policy' would be good, I'm also worrired about overwintering a nuc and a new (weakened) colony; should I concentrate on strengthening my colony by adding another brood box?

I'm all ears... :bigear:

They are commonly known as play cups the bees put them there to mess with our heads lol. They are only really queen cells if there is a larvae in them. In your position I think I would make sure that I had one strong colony rather than two weak ones going into winter. You didn't mention how many frames of brood there are in the hive.

Last edited:
When my nuc was that new I took comfort that, as the queen was new that year, swarming was less likely? But then I have also read all those comments on this forum that the bees may not read the same books that we do!
Tricia

I've around 9 frames of brood (all stages), the end 2 are full of stores, one of the frames that I'd put shallow foundation in (for a bit of varroa control) they've not fully drawn out yet, but they're getting there!

Personally I would aim for the double brood box, and seek out a nucleus from somewhere to act as your backup.

As Veg says, play cells with nothing in them are of no consequence.

Depends really on if/when the wasps become a real problem, and your ability to protect them.

One half will likely be OK and the other a lottery. Both could succumb. Then you could be left with nothing.

The sort of risk to be taken when you can afford it and can react positively enough should a problem arise. Probably not with just your one colony. Your call.

RAB

Latest posts

Back