To nuc or not to nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually the OP has started a lot of possibly contentious threads recently.
(just an observation):rolleyes:

Easy Beesy. Thanks for your reply. At the BBKA convention last year I was impressed by a Scottish beekeeper (Ian someone, can't remember his surname). He talked a lot about listening to the bees as they know best. I have engaged in discussion on the forum about natural beekeeping and I am trying to find the line between being a good bee manager and a natural beekeeper.

natual beekeeping= stick bees in a tree and raid their honey comb.

Good bee management= movable frames, weekly inspections, feeding, medicating, swarm control (to be responsible in a modern world).

Modern bees, bee diseases and how close we all are to our neighbours (compared to, say, 100 years ago when we couild use skeps) make 'natural beekeeping' very difficult and almost an impossibly fancy.

susan
any form of 'keeping' bees is unnatural, as even Phil will admit, but it seems a bit strange to ask mainly 'conventional' beekeepers what they think of 'natural' methods. It might have been an idea to tell the forum that you wanted comparisons on methods - you might have got different answers.

Easy Beesy - I don't know any beekeepers on this forum as to whether they are conventional or not - I've just joined!

susan
if you look to the left of the threads you'll see the poster's name and the type of hive they use, among other things. There is another forum (and a podcast) about 'natural' beekeeping - try googling Phil Chandler - I think he's on here somewhere too, but I've not seen anything by him in a while .............

Last edited:
but in light of recent conversation will it be the barefoot beekeeper or the BKA?

Being blunt here.

You, Susan2016 have started a bunch of provocative threads.

Co-incidence?

I hae ma doots...

I suspect a Troll,
Over to you to prove me and not a few others from my pm box wrong....

PH

I've no idea what you are talking about and am disappointed that you treat your newcomers with suspicion when all they are trying to do is learn. C'est la vie.

Au revoir, but thank you for those who took the time to answer my questions. There'll be no more questions from me at this forum - proof if you are looking for it.

I joined three days ago and found this a great place.

Got me out of a pickle or two already! Cheers team, btw...

Looks like poor Susan has brought out the worst in this place. If you are still reading Susan, there are lots of people signed up and reading. Not that many behave in the way you have experienced. Sometimes the pack mentality comes to the fore and it isn't pretty.

Iain Craig is an excellent - and traditional - beekeeper. It is good advice to listen to your bees - in a manner of speaking - because the more you understand how they work the better a beekeeper you will become. Stick with it, it is a great hobby.

G.

I've no idea what you are talking about and am disappointed that you treat your newcomers with suspicion when all they are trying to do is learn. C'est la vie.

Au revoir, but thank you for those who took the time to answer my questions. There'll be no more questions from me at this forum - proof if you are looking for it.

some times you can gain more information by lurking, anyhow Au revoir

Back