To die for

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike

No problem Mike. I would like to keep bees as a hobby to be able to produce honey, learn how to manage hives, and try to do something totally in tune with nature. I find great fascination in hive mechanics. Basically, more than likely the same reason as most people. When I opened this post I was not prepared for the interest. nearly gave up then thought why not? surely there is a way. But was not aware of all the implications to consider. But you got to agree...hot thread & thanks for the honesty. Dave.

Thank you. I would very much like to hear what your Nepalese friend has to say. Please pass on a namaste from me. If at some point if I decide to go ahead, I would very much like to view your hives.

I will message him tonight, and you are welcome.

DulwichGnome

Mike, thanks for the link advice. Have looked over the content and it looks like it might answer a lot of questions. Seeing if I can get it off amazon. Thank you very much.

FireGazer.

Sorry but missed the part when you asked about whether I consider the value of the lives of verroa/ pathogens. Yes I would. Would anyone kill say, an elephant as conscience free as a bee just because one may be viewed less significant than the other? I often wonder if an animal/ insect whichever it may be could talk and at that moment begged for its life, would we still kill either with the same disregard? (continued next bit, crap browser)

So dusting bees with icing sugar (rather than say a miticide which kills direct) is ok, or not ok? Or is it better that you wait til someone else selects bees for you with natural varroa resistance (hygienic behaviours, biting bees, whatever) using whatever methods they choose to get there?

Firegazer part 2

and as I was saying, even monasteries in nepal etc have previously been damaged by termite infestation to the degree they could have collapsed. At this point a decision was reached to call in the bugman, with all the monks equally sharing the Karmic burden of the decision. If I were able to treat infestation on a prevention better than cure basis it would sit best. I would cull a sick colony."If a healer does anything to ease suffering and benefit that person/creature, no negative karma follows"Euthenasia!

susbees

Any method that for example, meant directly spraying and killing at the same time would not be good but can you not spray so you dont get in the first place? Excuse my ignorance as I do not know. Dusting with sugar is more preferable as if I am correct it causes grooming and the verroa then fall through the open bottom but cannot get back into the hive. In either case preventative measures do not seem to me to be a direct intention. You have to be surewhere intention starts.

susbees

Yes without a shadow of doubt I would, if I understand correctly look for the most resistant strain, not have to be the highest producers of honey, but the most enjoyable to keep with the minimum of moral dilemma. (asking a lot but I WILL succeed one way or another)

Thanks.

A big thanks to all who took time to help/advise on this thread. I've even got mrs DTG offering to get on a course so she does the tricky karma stuff,(I'm the only bud in our house, the rest will thwack anything that moves Lol). We'll see. Going down the helping out route first. Hope we are all still friends & my views have not offended anyone. "Om mani pedme hung".(Wisdom and compassion to all) Dave.

Hope you didnt take any offence to the comments posted. :cheers2:

Veg

Absolutely none at all mate. Thick skinned, got to be with my lot. (lol)

Latest posts

Back