Tips for spring build up?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 ish
Hi All

Most of my hives are on rape seed, last year I was feeding them in spring 1:1 to have them ready for the spring harvest, but as we all know as soon as the flowers came out it started raining and it never stopped.

I was advised by a local BK to try vit*feed gold or green in the syrup this year to give them a really good start.

I have never used any thing other than syrup although I have read a fair bit on pollen patties, but I never know where to get the stuff to make it up myself so was looking at Nekt*poll.

I was wondering what your recommended products, tricks or just good practice where for getting hives up and running early?...........apart from moving to Cyprus!

Thanks Simon

Can't find it just now but Rab recently posted a method of building up for the rape.

I am going to put Nozevit into syrup feed soon, and also I use Neopoll when the weather is more constantly warmer. They have only just started flying - but pollen coming in so wont be long now. :sunning:

Best not to put any medication in the feed in spring, unless the bees are sick.

Seems real humbug that Nozewit

http://completebee.com/html/nozevit.html

1. Nozevit Restores the natural pH of the mid gut of the honey bee.
natural Nozevit as a food supplement for intestinal cleansing, thereby reducing the need of chemical treatments for internal ailments.

WOW x 10 times

Thanks Hivemaker... thought it a safety feed- saved me some cash as all look fine- just one is small but will cope now with standard box, i think.:thanks:

Even in South Devon (the Op's location), it must still be a bit early to be doing more than planning "Spring" activities ...

Yes, always planning..- but am pleased to see cleansing flights whenever pos.

Only plans for next 6 weeks- keep tidying up equipment, get record cards in order, ensure bees have fondant...Roll on April :cheers2:

Yes, always planning..- but am pleased to see cleansing flights whenever pos.

Only plans for next 6 weeks- keep tidying up equipment, get record cards in order, ensure bees have fondant...Roll on April :cheers2:

Roll on April :cheers2:

Thanks for the replies

I will keep my cash in pocket unless I see problems and let them do it naturally

Some times when looking at adverts etc it can make you feel that you are missing out by not doing some thing. But flagging it up to hundreds of other BK's gives proper reassurance.

Forum at its best as ever

Thanks

Thanks for the replies

"I will keep my cash in pocket unless I see problems and let them do it naturally"

Spot on, Artifical stimulation in early Spring will lead to early swarming, you could spend the Summer doing your beekeeping from a stepladder:nono:

As beginner I learned to put nozevit in syrup in two turns when is starting to be warm enough in spring. This helps with bees digestive system ( at least I believe so) after winter. Also it is claimed to be some kind "eco" or "organic", not product of chemical industry..
One anecdote which must not be really the reason of nozevit, but may be. One beekeeper which is far far away from me I gave nozevit and told him how and when to use it. He said that he never had such bees ( lively and industrious as he said), and also was happy with honey yield. Even so he is hobbyist, he is using it for three years now. His mentor was interested how he has such strong bees in a spring ( thinking of taking some queen cells of these colonies:)). Not to mention in that area no one use nozevit for bees..

This all I know sounds as advertisement:), but there are some talks that will soon occur some more effective things than nozevit and also "ecological" from other producer. If that turns to be true I will change to it.
My thinking about Nosema is beside all hygiene and good beekeeping practice it must include some additional prevention. As I read some research, that strong colony bears more easily nosema, but during the time numbers of spores are increasing and that breaks the colony in critical periods..

If this text is too much ( boring), or offending please delete it I won't mind:)

Latest posts

Back