Tips for painting polyhives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I saw there is a thread on polyhive painting and it's necessity but thought one dedicated to tips may be a useful resource.
I painted three last weekend with masonry paint, two coats and I think a third will be needed. The hives seemed to soak up each coat so that it looked like the paint was a thinner layer than I had applied. I found that placing the roof on at an angle (for convenience of painting) and each section raised on match sticks could reduce the issues of sections getting stuck together. Borderer also kindly told me that a layer of yacht varnish on the top and bottoms edges of each section would minimise damage from hive tools and also that painting the user side of the floor was not necessary. Any other insight shared would be appreciated.
Thanks

Three coats of masonry paint seem to have coped with the Somerset rain thus far. Mind you I have only tried poly for a year so not sure how long before it may need another coat.

Much depends on the paint, I believe.
Cheap B&Q masonry paint didn't give me good coverage.
And white was a mistake!

Very pleased with the result of changing to Cuprinol Garden Shades in Old English Green.

Much depends on the paint, I believe.
Cheap B&Q masonry paint didn't give me good coverage.
And white was a mistake!

Very pleased with the result of changing to Cuprinol Garden Shades in Old English Green.
Thanks,
Why was white a mistake (the colour I have chosen..)?

Thanks,
Why was white a mistake (the colour I have chosen..)?

It rapidly looked tatty, showing every touch of prop, etc - not to mention the various green growths that appeared over the winter!

But even on day 1, white drew attention to the lines of what isn't a pretty box.
Sludge green works better (and blends in pretty well with the background) for me.

It rapidly looked tatty, showing every touch of prop, etc - not to mention the various green growths that appeared over the winter!

But even on day 1, white drew attention to the lines of what isn't a pretty box.
Sludge green works better (and blends in pretty well with the background) for me.
Thanks,
Will consider getting sludge green for the third coat.

Wilkinson do a range of coatings to rival Cuprinol shades at half the price, colours aren't quite up to Cuprinol's vibrancy, but this is going on poly hives I don't like anyway

Don't bother painting, they will last long enough.

Wilkinson sludge is lovingly called 'willow'

Have painted mine with Dulux masonry and added a little colorant to the last coat so now have a nice range of pastel shades....
Also found it better to water down the paint alittle then it spreads more easily. Each had 3 coats...

Wilkinson sludge is lovingly called 'willow'

Perfect colour! I was going for Iris blue, but then thought that perhaps it wasn't a good colour for an out apiary....

Sludge, (willow) green blends in nicely.

I chose white because I thought it will be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer...

Talking about blue forget me not is a great colour for a hive as bees always find their way home ;)

Mine started to go crispy in the sun

No, just yellowed a bit. Difficult to explain the texture change....maybe crumblier....so I slapped on the masonry paint.

Latest posts

Back