Time to get the camera out againAnd spread some joy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So nice to see the flower photos. You're all lucky to have pollen available on some some days. Not so lucky. The hives are buried in snow, and the temperatures? So cold here. -5F this morning with the temperatures falling through the day. -15F by the time we reach the bottom tonight.

This photo warms may heart. One of my favorite honeys we have here. Staghorn Sumac, Rhus typhina. June bloomer. Flavour has a hint of vanilla. Come on April...

DSC_2755.JPG

So nice to see the flower photos. You're all lucky to have pollen available on some some days. Not so lucky. The hives are buried in snow, and the temperatures? So cold here. -5F this morning with the temperatures falling through the day. -15F by the time we reach the bottom tonight.

This photo warms may heart. One of my favorite honeys we have here. Staghorn Sumac, Rhus typhina. June bloomer. Flavour has a hint of vanilla. Come on April...

View attachment 35115
That’s a gorgeous photo.
We have a small amount of Sumac here and the bees love it.
I’d love to twist your arm to bring me a jar I can pick up from The Honey Show but it’s probably illegal ……. Sigh!

I’d love to twist your arm to bring me a jar I can pick up from The Honey Show but it’s probably illegal ……
don't think it is actually - personal allowance of 2KG is allowed

Last edited:
That’s a gorgeous photo.
We have a small amount of Sumac here and the bees love it.
I’d love to twist your arm to bring me a jar I can pick up from The Honey Show but it’s probably illegal ……. Sigh!
Thanks Dani. I am allowed to take honey to the UK. Of course it has to be in checked luggage. Not sure what is allowed...probably what JBM said.
I have taken a case of cut comb honey for gifts. Carried on my lap on the plane. TSA considers Comb Honey to be a solid. :)
I will be bringing some comb to enter in the show. If I have any Sumac, I'll bring some. And then there's Goldenrod if we don't make Sumac. Butterscotch! The three Irish Honey judges who came here after Apimondia couldn't get enough.

Thanks Dani. I am allowed to take honey to the UK. Of course it has to be in checked luggage. Not sure what is allowed...probably what JBM said.
I have taken a case of cut comb honey for gifts. Carried on my lap on the plane. TSA considers Comb Honey to be a solid. :)
I will be bringing some comb to enter in the show. If I have any Sumac, I'll bring some. And then there's Goldenrod if we don't make Sumac. Butterscotch! The three Irish Honey judges who came here after Apimondia couldn't get enough.
Wonderful.
Our wasteland Goldenrod is Solidago gigantea. Yours is canadensis. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's considered invasive
The only "weird" honey we get here in mid Wales is Dandelion and then not often. I quite like it. Some of my customers rave about it but it's like Marmite....love it or hate it.

Yeah, it really is. Dangerously cold. All the schools have been cancelled for the day. Even the ski areas are closed.
-17F at 5:30pm this evening. And then, it will be 35-40F on Sunday. Crazy.
Continuing the report...-21F this morning at 6:30 with a -40F wind chill. That's nothing...Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, the 2nd tallest mountain east of the Mississippi, was -45 this morning with a -108 wind chill. Record low for the mountain...-50. Record wind chill...-108. Brutal

Last edited:
Continuing the report...-21F this morning at 6:30 with a -40F wind chill. That's nothing...Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, the 2nd tallest mountain east of the Mississippi, was -45 this morning with a -108 wind chill. Record low for the mountain...-50. Record wind chill...-108. Brutal
I changed that to centigrade and thought it had added a nought! -30c is what we call brass monkey weather in the UK!

In the UK news today

The coldest wind chill ever in the continental United States was recorded on Friday due to an "epic, generational" Arctic cold snap, forecasters said.

Arctic blasts drove the wind chill on Mount Washington on Friday evening to a new record low of -78C, according to the US National Weather Service.

That broke the previous low recorded there of -74C, the Weather Channel said.

At almost 6,300 feet, Mount Washington is the highest peak in northeast America and it is known for having some of the world's worst weather.

The Arctic wind blew into the United States from eastern Canada on Friday morning, causing temperatures to plunge to dangerously low levels across the region.

Weather warnings

Wind-chill warnings were issued for most of New York state and across all six New England states - Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine - a region home to about 16 million people.

And there was Al Gore in Davos, a week or so ago, stating the “seas are boiling”….

Latest posts

Back