Ticks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old hand at tick removal from animals. Once removed area gets an alcohol wash and then antibacterial cream. Feels like tick season started earlier on animals this year (March), maybe with the mild winter?

Funny thing is, as a child I wandered the countryside and fished locally for most of the summer. Never saw a tick

Apparently the mild winter meant that more survived than usual, they started "hunting" earlier, and we've got some foreign "invaders" too. There was a piece on the BBC News site about them a week or so back. They caught quite a few in a park in London as far as I recall.

James

Anyone noticing more ticks about this year?
removed number five on Sunday this year, number 6 this morning and prevented a seventh latching on after a lunchtime visit to an apiary
maybe I'm just tasty :LOL:
What's interesting is that there's an inverse correlation between ticks and wasp populations. Sometime ago I researched the incidence of Lyme's disease using NHS stats and compared this with field monitoring of wasp populations and there was a strong correlation between the two. In years where there were notable wasp populations the incidence of Lyme's disease fell quite sharply. Interestingly, wasp populations dipped considerably after the introduction of neonicotinoids in the mid to late 90s which would go some way to explaining why as a child you did not encounter ticks (albeit that there could be other reasons such as low deer populations in the areas you were wandering).

Careful with simple correlations; they may, or may not be statistically significant. I remember at school being told there was a strong correlation between the widespread introduction of TV sets, and an increase in mental health. Statistics proved that was just a coincidence (however attractive the counter assumption might have been!). Falling into my own trap now, I suspect (!) the increase in ticks may also be partly to do with the increase in deer populations, which is is believed to be at around two million, its highest level for 1000 years (FC, 2023). It is deer ticks (also known as sheep ticks) which carry LD.

Careful with simple correlations; they may, or may not be statistically significant. I remember at school being told there was a strong correlation between the widespread introduction of TV sets, and an increase in mental health. Statistics proved that was just a coincidence (however attractive the counter assumption might have been!). Falling into my own trap now, I suspect (!) the increase in ticks may also be partly to do with the increase in deer populations, which is is believed to be at around two million, its highest level for 1000 years (FC, 2023). It is deer ticks (also known as sheep ticks) which carry LD.
Hence my comment about deer populations. However, I'm reasonably confident that deer populations don't swing by as much as 80% from one year to the next which wasp populations do most notably in response to failed mating events followed by warm winters.

I suspect its the deer population as I do see they regularly around my apiaries, much more so locally than in the 70s and 80s. One advantage is the availability of venison if you know who to speak to ;)

We have never had so many on our dogs as we have had on Spark this year ... we walk him locally in the woods (fortunately, unlike the New Forest, it's a low Lymes risk area) and we are removing them on a daily basis. We thought it was Spark that was just a tick magnet but it would appear to have been a very bad (and an early start) season for them.

We have never had so many on our dogs as we have had on Spark this year ... we walk him locally in the woods (fortunately, unlike the New Forest, it's a low Lymes risk area) and we are removing them on a daily basis. We thought it was Spark that was just a tick magnet but it would appear to have been a very bad (and an early start) season for them.
Seen many wasps this year?

I suspect its the deer population as I do see they regularly around my apiaries, much more so locally than in the 70s and 80s. One advantage is the availability of venison if you know who to speak to ;)
We see plenty of roe deer and this year some fallow too. Once the cattle are turned out in the spring and there are sheep on the fields around us then the deer become fewer. I have seen herds of up to thirty in the hills near us. More ticks on our cat and dog this year and I find them on me from time to time mainly around wrists. Always legs covered up when walking our spaniel in the long grass.

I have been trying Billy No Mates. Dogs seem to love it. It's herbs that you sprinkle on their food. Seems good although only recently started it. Smells delicious. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Mate...19410952&sprefix=billy+no+mates,aps,95&sr=8-2

Latest posts

Back