Those who demaree’d

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’m guessing if you performed a demaree towards the end of the last flow in mid May you may have run into some problems since?

Did the dearth prevent the bottom bb building back up as usual or was everything ok? I assume it’s quite hard/impossible to feed a colony that has recently been demaree’d…

I’m guessing if you performed a demaree towards the end of the last flow in mid May you may have run into some problems since?

Did the dearth prevent the bottom bb building back up as usual or was everything ok? I assume it’s quite hard/impossible to feed a colony that has recently been demaree’d…
I've not used Demaree but I'm sure a frame feeder or entrance feeder would work.

I assume it’s quite hard/impossible to feed a colony that has recently been demaree’d…
Why?
I've not used Demaree but I'm sure a frame feeder or entrance feeder would work.
just put an 'English' (brother Adam) feeder over the top box, the message will soon get to the bees in the bottom, although they may take a shortcut by flying out of the bottom entrance, then in to the top to get at the feeder.

Why?

just put an 'English' (brother Adam) feeder over the top box, the message will soon get to the bees in the bottom, although they may take a shortcut by flying out of the bottom entrance, then in to the top to get at the feeder.
Because the feed would end up in the supers wouldn’t it?

Have you had to feed many that you’ve demaree’d this year?

Last edited:
Because the feed would end up in the supers wouldn’t it?
it's all about feeding in moderation and just giving them enough to stay alive and have enough energy to forage when there is a flow on
Have you had to feed many that you’ve demaree’d this year
one or two

I didn't take any honey before the demaree and yes, the weight has been dropping but there remains a good amount of stores, some of them from last year as I over-winter on brood and a half. That super is now the heaviest and it's on the top of the stack.

There's been some nectar coming in and they've drawn out over a half of the bottom box.

Discovered today that the QC left in the top of the demaree and one moved to a nuc have both failed. Shame as best queen. (QC emergence + 18 days maybe not too late but not looking good).

Latest posts

Back