Queen rescued from balling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Double brood box swarm control split early May then recombined. Weekly inspections mid May showed eggs and the marked/clipped Q present. Weekly insp since showed bees in all stages but no record of the Q (although I did not search). On a routine weekly inspection today 25/6 all looked OK, bees in all stages but I spotted an unmarked/unclipped Q on a frame with eggs. Marked/clipped Q not seen since recombination.
I removed the unmarked Q to a cage and marked/clipped her, assuming marked Q had been lost. I cannot understand how she got there ( no signs of an old open Hatched Q cell).
On putting the open Q cage on top of the brood frames, she was harassed by aggressive workers. I managed to rescue her and she is now in an incubator recovering and seems chirpy again in a sealed Q cage blocked with fondant. I cannot decide how to proceed. Try returning the caged Q tomorrow? Or put the caged Q into a nuc and see how the double brood colony develops. Mmmmmm…..

Makes me wonder if this is a supersedure and 2 queens were present, then they objected to her once disturbed.
I think I'd put her in a nuc, see what the hive does & maybe recombine later

Makes me wonder if this is a supersedure and 2 queens were present, then they objected to her once disturbed.
I think I'd put her in a nuc, see what the hive does & maybe recombine later
I will let you know what happens. I had not considered supercedure. I have Apideas mating/mated in the apiary. Could entry by an absconding Q be a possible explanation?

Double brood box swarm control split early May then recombined. Weekly inspections mid May showed eggs and the marked/clipped Q present. Weekly insp since showed bees in all stages but no record of the Q (although I did not search). On a routine weekly inspection today 25/6 all looked OK, bees in all stages but I spotted an unmarked/unclipped Q on a frame with eggs. Marked/clipped Q not seen since recombination.
I removed the unmarked Q to a cage and marked/clipped her, assuming marked Q had been lost. I cannot understand how she got there ( no signs of an old open Hatched Q cell).
On putting the open Q cage on top of the brood frames, she was harassed by aggressive workers. I managed to rescue her and she is now in an incubator recovering and seems chirpy again in a sealed Q cage blocked with fondant. I cannot decide how to proceed. Try returning the caged Q tomorrow? Or put the caged Q into a nuc and see how the double brood colony develops. Mmmmmm…..
I've rarely had much luck reintroducing a queen (after rescue) once they've been balled. Perhaps once or twice if put in a small nuc. I'll be interested to hear how you get on (y)

Dunk her in honey and make sure she is well covered , pop her on the top bars. She will be accepted.

Might she have entered the wrong colony ?
Or on has missed a QC or a secreted away QC esp against the sdie bars.

Latest posts

Back