Thornes ????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just rang up Thornes for a Hive, its one of their 'Bees on a budget range' Wanted to pop up there and pick one up, was told that I had to purchase online and had to pay by card, then it would be delivered free of charge...... For christ sake, I only live 10 mins away, and whats wrong with good old fashioned cash?? Is there any other deals within an hour or so of Lincoln where I could get a similar deal? :rolleyes:

I had the same issue earlier this year, was in the shop and buying stuff and could see them but couldnt have one........... was told its online order and purchase only, I told them they would make more as would save the free postage........... I guess our online details are worth more.
Didnt but one in the end, got one elsewhere so they lost out, does seem a strange policy.

I did once (several years ago) wish to make a cash purchase of well over 200 quid in the shop and was offerred an abrupt refusal of any incentive to do so.

I then paid for the few items I needed at the time, then ordered on-line, in two separate orders, of over £100 (so free delivery for each), over a period of several days, one to my credit card and the other to my wife's card to ensure separate deliveries.

Same prices, but a lot less profit, and more hassle, for them.

As the 'Bees on a budget' is supplied as forward ordering items (can be several weeks wait for delivery) one might understand it being a ploy to prevent queue jumping, so being fairer to those already on back-order.

RAB

Three weeks delivery on those hives. So if you need it now I would look elsewhere.

as stated a 3 week minim delivery time on the Bees on a budget Hives. I can and do make them from scratch in under 3 hours, Total cost £28, Only difference i use 18mm Ply wood.

needed a couple of bait hives so have bought ply set up from the planet lot to try, just brood box and roof £60 for two and was here in 248hrs, once figured the instructions they were very simple to put together, time will tell if they are any good, but if they overwinter ok (will leave out to test) then I may get more.

I don't understand why the website quotes three weeks lead in time, we orderd one of these on a Monday evening and it arrived Thursday.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/National-Bee-Hive-Beehive-all-frames-foundation-Cedar-/160598505695?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Bee_Keeping&hash=item25646ab8df

It's a very big box to carry to the car.

I never knew they did ebay, but looking back on it, im thankful the first one took so long. Else i never would have been encouraged to make my own

Tho**nes

C Wynne Jones usually deliver next day and their prices are very reasonable:)

I buy most of my beekeeping requirements from Thor***.

I have also been disappointed when buying form the store. When I had loaded about £100 worth of items into my basket, I asked if they would price match on some varroa medication. (Sold cheaper at the above store CWJ)

I was given a firm NO. I left my products and bought from CWJ AND IN THE PROCESS PURCHASED MORE PRODUCTS. So a double loss.

I do hope that Thorn*** and other sellers read this forum; it is a very competitive market place. It is we the beekeepers who should benefit from this. A profit will always be a profit no sale no profit.

Just rang up Th**nes for a Hive, its one of their 'Bees on a budget range' Wanted to pop up there and pick one up, was told that I had to purchase online and had to pay by card, then it would be delivered free of charge...... For christ sake, I only live 10 mins away, and whats wrong with good old fashioned cash?? Is there any other deals within an hour or so of Lincoln where I could get a similar deal? :rolleyes:

Saves supplying manpower in the 'shop' or to 'serve' you, less insurance, less premise space, less 'disappearing' goods'.

Makes it cheaper for the end user (you're not a customer any more.

PS
I 'invented 'Drop Shipping' for all and more of the same reasons above.

Be happy, YOU and WE ruined the corner shop by looking elsewhere for a penny cheaper.

Last edited:
I went up to Thornes and to be fair, they did me a good deal on a National, came with 2 x Supers, 1 x Brood, Mesh floor with a slide in piece of plastic, Galvanised queen excluder, Crown board, Frames for Brood and Super, 31 in all, 1 gallon feeder, A good quality smock, a Smoker, Gloves, A book etc etc ...... all for £275 squid. Just need a good nuc now and thats me sorted

Forgot to mention, the hive was made from red cedar too...... :)

I went up to Th**nes and to be fair, they did me a good deal on a National, came with 2 x Supers, 1 x Brood, Mesh floor with a slide in piece of plastic, Galvanised queen excluder, Crown board, Frames for Brood and Super, 31 in all, 1 gallon feeder, A good quality smock, a Smoker, Gloves, A book etc etc ...... all for £275 squid. Just need a good nuc now and thats me sorted

Unfortunately there is bad news :eek: ....you're not sorted. You'll need either another brood with frames, foundation to run them on a double brood system or at least another super if you run them on a brood and a half. So best get your wallet out again. :laughing-smiley-004

I found it more cost effective to buy another complete 'bees on a budget - option 1' rather than buying individual lots to make up, as the next thing you'll need is a second hive, as most will advocate on this forum. So the extra supers, roof, mesh floor come in handy especially if you stumble upon a swarm.

BL

I went up to Th**nes and to be fair, they did me a good deal on a National, came with 2 x Supers, 1 x Brood, Mesh floor with a slide in piece of plastic, Galvanised queen excluder, Crown board, Frames for Brood and Super, 31 in all, 1 gallon feeder, A good quality smock, a Smoker, Gloves, A book etc etc ...... all for £275 squid. Just need a good nuc now and thats me sorted

The hive stand, the medicines, the jars for your honey, the labels for the jars, a honey extractor, the spare hive, another hive, a nuc box...

...a gabled roof, some spare frames and foundation, some spare runners and spacers, a spare floor, or a couple of spare floors, some more brood boxes, 3 or 4 good books, some more supers, more bees etc etc...

A good quality bee suit...

The hive stand, the medicines, the jars for your honey, the labels for the jars, a honey extractor, the spare hive, another hive, a nuc box...

...a gabled roof, some spare frames and foundation, some spare runners and spacers, a spare floor, or a couple of spare floors, some more brood boxes, 3 or 4 good books, some more supers, more bees etc etc...

A good quality bee suit...

I am so glad I wasnt on this forum when I first set up! I wouldnt have done it! was concerned how much I spent initially If I had known that 3 seasons later I would be up on 5 hives then I would of had kittens!

but it is sooo much fun.

if you want to collect a bees on a budget hive, you could use their address as the delivery address on the on-line order form and say you'll collect when informed it's ready.

They need to quote 3 weeks - to reduce the chances of letting people down. Better to (try) to under promise and over-deliver. I spoke to someone who went there and they were VERY busy he told me.

If you really need a hive, Th**nes sell budget hives on EBay. The delivery time is: Estimated within 8-10 working days. I don't know if this will help anyone out..

National Hive

Latest posts

Back