Thornes sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooray,
Three lovely big boxes from Thornes today (ordered on the 29th) just like Christmas again. Bee related fun for the weekend ! Even the OH is glad, think i have been driving her mad over the last few weeks kicking around the house cursing the snow. Snow almost gone. Fully aim to be at the allotment or in the shed making hive bits this weekend- or both! The world is my oyster !!!

Marc

my order arrived today ordered on 29th december,
kev

peters
try hivemaker its already built and ready to go, top quality hive
kev

Collected my meagre 45 quid order today. they looked pretty busy getting orders ready. Plenty of stock of the "bits and pieces" of beekeeping and loads of foundation. Not that much in the way of hives themselves though.

delivery times

I e-mailed Thornes and they said that orders containing foundation were not being sent out until after the big freeze (ie from today) as the foundation gets brittle in the cold and can break in transit. A bit over cautious perhaps or maybe just the stock line they are giving to annoying people like me who contact them about when things will be delivered. :boxing_smiley:

They had also had a lot of orders (obviously).

I only contacted really as they took the payment from my card but the invoice says they will take it when things are dispatched; so I thought mine might have been lost in the couriers system after all the snow.

I only contacted really as they took the payment from my card but the invoice says they will take it when things are dispatched; so I thought mine might have been lost in the couriers system after all the snow.

They took payment so that VAT was charged at 15% instead of the new rate of 17.5%.

This was technically incorrect as all they needed to do was raise an invoice at the date of order and the tax point (and hence the tax rate) would have been set, then they could have taken the funds when the goods were ready for despatch and the VAT rate would be unaffected.

:hat:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Well, my order just arrived and I live in Jersey and I placed the order on the 4th. I've got to say, the brood boxes and supers are much better quality than last years sale items.

Enzo

I e-mailed Thornes and they said that orders containing foundation were not being sent out until after the big freeze (ie from today) as the foundation gets brittle in the cold and can break in transit. A bit over cautious perhaps or maybe just the stock line they are giving to annoying people like me who contact them about when things will be delivered. :boxing_smiley:

They had also had a lot of orders (obviously).

I dropped a pack of foundation during the freeze, all 10 sheets split down one of the wires :(

I had the same worry about the card message & rang them - the cards were all charged on receipt of order to beat the rise in VAT on Jan 1st

Still waiting for my order placed on 29th, but at least the delay allowed me to add some more foundation on the original order & save on postage.

my 14x12 brood second is better than a "first" i bought from windsor two years ago just one lighter coloured side

but out of five supers i had to re-aranged the sides to get 4 very good supers and a very poor fifth..knots in the tenan joints, shakes in the sides, big knot in the front, missing knot in a top bar corner..a last resort super

Does everyone else have loads of nails left over after making broods and supers..can't see what else i could nail :confused:

but had to cut in the castles i use as no rebate for them as there is in a normal thornes super

Frames pleased,so far just five top bars have knot is them and a couple of warped bottom bars out of 200

Got my Thornes sales stuff day before yesterday. Just got around to unpacking it. It is mostly of very good quality but with some pieces having more knots than others.

One side piece from a roof though was a very very light coloured wood - I would say it looked like pine. The other parts of the roof are obviously cedar, being the trademark pinky/sandy colour with the amazing scent.

Any ideas on what wood this different piece is? If it is pine it obviously won't have the same beneficial properties that having cedar hive parts brings.

Western Red Cedar has a big colour range and can be dark brown to light pink however the sap wood can be very light pale almost white. I am not aware of Thorns making pine hives although they do make frames but it is still hard to imagine that a bit of pine has got through the machining process without being rejected. I think it is likely to be a large amount of sapwood and not that desirable if one side of the piece is darker than the other then have the darker side to the outside this will be more heart wood and more durable with the weather alternatively contact Thorns they may replace the part for you.

Thanks Tom.

I have e-mailed thornes and they said it is possibly a piece of English Cedar. In any case it is very white on both sides. I think I may e-mail them a picture and press them for a replacement, it is only one side after all.

English or European Red Cedar is generally lighter in colour than Canadian Cedar. It also tends to be a more uniform in colour and the tree grows that bit quicker than the colder climate of parts of Canada you can often see this by looking at the end grain not an exact science but a good indication of climate conditions, you are right to press them for a replacement

Latest posts

Back