Thornes sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have e-mailed Thornes again, this time with the following picture.

4329813569_13f06f3c24.jpg

We'll see what they come back with...

Thanks for your advice Tom.

I too have some of these roofs and some of the sides appear almost identical.

I can see where you are coming from on this, but......

I have one piece that is white on one side and dark on the other, so this shows me that the timber is all of the same type and I am looking at the difference in heartwood.

The big give-away is the weight. Western Red Cedar is very light. You should also have some 'head space laths' with this as well. These are probably pine and there is a big weight difference. (now the REALLY sad bit) I weighed a side at 174gr and a lath at 144gr, when you compare the volumes, the lathes are much denser.

Conclusion.
I feel happy that the light coloured wood is as described.
:svengo:

Yes I see what you mean minature hero I would not be happy with that it looks like sapwood to me and I think needs to be changed.

PaleoPerson I think what you have is the point of the tree when sapwood changes into heartwood keep the darker wood (the heartwood) to the outside

Steady on chaps ... These are after all only seconds ...

I know they are only seconds but was expecting something completely similar,there were no other bits like it in the entire order. I'm not bothered by the live knots, thats why I got the sale bits, although there are very few in all of the bits I got. Overall very good for the price! Thanks for your opinions and help all, I think I have sorted getting the part changed now.

from past experience, i doubt they will change anything...they are servisable seconds as advertised,

even their "first" are differnt colours. see the 14x12 in the picture, the second i just bought was very dark but without knots but a damaged top bar with a new extra whitish top bat gaffer taped to the package

the light coloured wood doesn't bother me, one of my "2nd" roofs was very white cedar...same weight a the very dark one

Last edited:

Though I can obviously see what you mean, please remember you bought as a second and should have paid an appropriate price?

If you went to trading standards I think you you have a problem as they did say they were serviceable seconds and unless the roof leaks or will not assemble correctly they have fulfilled their side of the contract.

Will the bees care its a slightly different colour?

Sorry but this is the risk we all take when buying on the cheap

Sorry you are wrong stiffy when say Thorns or anyone manufactures items you inevitably get parts that are not A1 and in the case of Thorns they sell them as 2nds aswell as manufacture 2nds. During the manufacturing you will get timber and parts that are only fit for the bin and as God made green apples Thorns will have skips full of them. Now a piece of timber with a few knots will last perhaps aslong as a piece without knots it may have a greater chance of splitting and twisting but otherwise almost as good as the perfect piece. Now sapwood on the other hand timber even the magnificent Cedar will start to and may well have rotted within a couple of years it is like a sponge and will hold the moisture and that is why that amount of sap is not really acceptable even as a 2nd.

ps Get yourself down to the skips at Thorns if you want cheap hives it will cost them to have it removed and I bet they will be happy to have it emptied for free

ps Get yourself down to the skips at Thorns if you want cheap hives it will cost them to have it removed and I bet they will be happy to have it emptied for free

They sometimes put a big bin out the front of Wragby with a sign "Free Firewood"

apart from the lighter colour, how would you tell cedar sapwood? Mr Bick has me worried now

MM I dont thing you need to worry Western Red Cedar has a big colour range from dark brown to light pink your photo although not that easy to see looks fine, The sapwood is very light almost white and although small amounts may be acceptable on 2nds it is unusual that they would let a large piece through.

Sorry you are wrong stiffy when say Thorns or anyone manufactures items you inevitably get parts that are not A1 and in the case of Thorns they sell them as 2nds aswell as manufacture 2nds. During the manufacturing you will get timber and parts that are only fit for the bin and as God made green apples Thorns will have skips full of them. Now a piece of timber with a few knots will last perhaps as long as a piece without knots it may have a greater chance of splitting and twisting but otherwise almost as good as the perfect piece. Now sapwood on the other hand timber even the magnificent Cedar will start to and may well have rotted within a couple of years it is like a sponge and will hold the moisture and that is why that amount of sap is not really acceptable even as a 2nd.

I am certainly not an expert on wood but will be interested to hear what Thornes have to say.

If I received this roof I would accept that I had paid a cheap price and would either replace the offending piece of wood or paint it.
But then maybe I am wrong and too accepting ?

As long as its cedar what's the problem?

Is anyone else still waiting for sales stuff to be delivered from thornes?
Our association ordered over £4,500 of stuff and they still cant give a date for delivery. They have had our money since the day the sale started. I think we will be buying from else where next year.

Is anyone else still waiting for sales stuff to be delivered from thornes?
Our association ordered over £4,500 of stuff and they still cant give a date for delivery. They have had our money since the day the sale started. I think we will be buying from else where next year.

Waiting for similar volume here but to be fair I told them I was not in a rush, I may give them a call in the morning.

PS they watch these forums :) and they know this thread too lmao

PPS I had deep BB that I collected and it seemed very heavy for cedar, turns out its UK cedar and has lots of moisture still in it - they told me I read too many forums when I queried it :patriot:

Last edited:
I've had my order through OK but the this procedure of taking the money straight away and then awaiting delivery is just not right.

Nearly all internet or other sellers only take the momey out of your bank or credit card account on the day of despatch.

The other point is that they always want debit card payment - it's straight out of your account.

They are so busy and have so little competition they can get away with this but not in the long run methinks.

PeterS, there was something to do with VAT on taking money I think, also this is the reason I asked for Maismore sales prices in order to compare - never got a reply on that one.

If they do read this then it is Bridgend beekeepers that are waiting for their stuff.

Sounds as if they need an attitude readjustment. Trying to baffle with bull **** winna work these days. The forums see to that.

I just bet they love them...LOL

PH

Yes but I also ordered extra after 1st Jan and it was also taken straight away. 2 week delay before despatch.

I know I'm covered on credit cards, but if a firm goes under having taken money by debit card then can you get it back?

I'm sure this will never happen but hey, it's only 2 years since we all thought RBS was safe as houses.

Latest posts

Back