Thornes must be feeling the slump-another sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Thornes have annouced another sale for 3 days only 28th-31st January

perhaps the bubble has burst and they made too many dodgy supers

Perhaps, but the mix is different. The list is headed by wax foundation this time. Wouldn't be a sale without supers though.

any idea what is on offer?

I imagine all the imformation will be on their website,and sent out via e mails.
One post was deleted earlier, as it consisted purely of an e mail price list.

Last edited:
Th**nes have annouced another sale for 3 days only 28th-31st January

what bubble are you taking about? makes no sense, So a company decides to have a sale, 1st or 2nd, so... ?

explain the 'dodgy super' comment too, justify your words????

JD

Admin, this forum is really scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment, roll on the new season to give ppl more to think about.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to you JezD. I think the bubble referred to is perhaps the meteoric increase in the number of new beekeepers. Many people that you and I both know have mentioned for some time that it isn't sustainable.

It stretched both Mae'smore and Tho'rnes who both increased their capacity to be able to service the demand, but what with hard times and perhaps having gone over the hump so to speak, then the market may be contracting slightly.

The popular growth through acquisition of the small supplier model begins to fail also when new small suppliers step in to forage in the vacuum, resulting in increased competition, albeit piecemeal.

We are living in interesting times . . . did we but know it.

Happy New Year to you JezD. I think the bubble referred to is perhaps the meteoric increase in the number of new beekeepers. Many people that you and I both know have mentioned for some time that it isn't sustainable.

Any chance of the rest of us - especially us new beekeepers - being let into the secret?

Dusty

Suspect nothing more sinister than they want to clear out certain excess items, and also to entice folks to use them for the annual foundation order

Suspect nothing more sinister than they want to clear out certain excess items, and also to entice folks to use them for the annual foundation order

I would agree. Before Christmas I was advised that various suppliers were having difficulty in sourcing wax for impending orders so it looks as if Thornes at least have now sourced a goodly supply of wax from somewhere.

:iagree:
And I've had no dodgy supers or anything else dodgy, from T'ornes bee-smillie

Originally Posted by Monsieur Abeille:

:iagree:

In my experience with T'ornes items, you get what you pay for. The sale items I have bought have all been good, nothing dodgy about any of it!

The only thing now is to convince the OH I need more bits of kit ;)

And I've had no dodgy supers or anything else dodgy, from T'ornes bee-smillie[/QUOTE]

I bought 10 2nd quality supers from th----s.I dismantled the bundles and then did a sort thro' and put all the best bits together.I ended up with 3 good 1st quality supers, 5- 2nd quality and 2 that I wouldn't use on my hives.These two I will use to store made-up unwaxed frames in my bee shed.It would seem that if Th---es dont have a sufficieny of 2nd quality bits they make up the sets with 1st quality items.
I notice that in their next sale most items are normal quality but the wax is ordinary and not premium grade.This means that the wax is sourced from foreign countries,where their premium wax is sourced in the U.K.Can this lead to disease issues?.:):)

"It would seem that if Th---es dont have a sufficieny of 2nd quality bits they make up the sets with 1st quality items."

I thought they just had specific production runs of 2nds rather then them being just the grading/QC failures from standard production.

The only thing now is to convince the OH I need more bits of kit ;)

No need to convince OH, just go ahead and then have them delivered elsewhere.

back to the post - I have ordered from Th amongst others for many years and have always received good quality stuff. Unlike some others I have tried from time to time.

Cazza

"No need to convince OH, just go ahead and then have them delivered elsewhere."

Apparently JMB's mother provides a reasonably priced service; receiving and laundering beekeeping paraphanalia.

re the quality - not had any problems re quality/useability of 2nds gear from the big T (either self selected at windsor or mail order). LS and dadant boxes seem to be genuine "old stock" made from different spec timber (very dark and old looking) vs the fresher looking nat gear.

Last edited:
I imagine all the imformation will be on their website,and sent out via e mails.
One post was deleted earlier, as it consisted purely of an e mail price list.

This anti commercial purge is getting silly.
Nearly everyone buys from them and nearly everyone is a member of the BBKA .(B* B* K* A in case it is still banned)

Not silly at all. It is quite refreshing to think we won't need to read of these commercial posts. Only yesterday, I was posting that it was time for one thread to be terminated - and when I tried to post, it had gone. Fantabulous! Long may it endure.

RAB

Not silly at all. It is quite refreshing to think we won't need to read of these commercial posts. Only yesterday, I was posting that it was time for one thread to be terminated - and when I tried to post, it had gone. Fantabulous! Long may it endure.

RAB

To a certain extend I would agree wholeheartedly with the above. However there are times when it is extremely frustrating and even counter productive.

As one who has been away from beekeeping for some tens of years much as changed not least Varroa. It is frustrating when following a thread and somebody posts a website suggesting it will help the OP. So you decide to follow the link only to find it full of stars.

The post might as well not have been made.

Latest posts

Back