Thornes must be feeling the slump-another sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This anti commercial purge is getting silly.

Maybe,and not so good if your passion is looking at adverts,but thats the way it is,the rules,and better than page upon page of commercial adverts being placed all over the forum.

I agree,better not to do it.

You have lost me Hivemaker. You are seriously suggesting that members would be better off not posting a URL which helps a member with a question they have raise?

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear I was referring to the posts people make saying have a look at www.xyz.abd as it will help.

When they are reduced to stars the post is worthless and might as well not have been made.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear I was referring to the posts people make saying have a look at www.xyz.abd as it will help.

When they are reduced to stars the post is worthless and might as well not have been made.

Worth remembering you can always use tinyurl which translates your link into one that the site wont object to

Worth remembering you can always use tinyurl which translates your link into one that the site wont object to

I am well aware of that but my brain must work in a strange way. If I read a URL I have a better than fair chance of remembering the firm/organisation but if I visit the site from a tiny link it doesn't stick in my mind (for future reference).

Obviously I support the forum being commercial free otherwise I wouldn't donate, however I really do wish there was some way for links posted to help people not being destroyed.

This anti commercial purge is getting silly.

We have a number of commercial people on this forum who respect the rules and contribute to the forum without plugging their products and as a result help others in their quest to be better beekeepers.

However a number of commercial people and I suspect a few people closely connected to commercial company’s have joined the forum in the past with a sole intention to steer threads and discussions towards their products that helps no one not even themselves as in time they are banned.

I imagine all the imformation will be on their website,and sent out via e mails.
One post was deleted earlier, as it consisted purely of an e mail price list.

if it is i was not able to find it. either before i posted the question or this morning when i read this thread again and thought i must be going mad. so in the end i asked a friend to forward the list to me.

this isnt quite anticomercial as just unhelpfull.

if it is i was not able to find it. either before i posted the question or this morning when i read this thread again and thought i must be going mad. so in the end i asked a friend to forward the list to me.

this isnt quite anticomercial as just unhelpfull.

:iagree: I understand the advantage of not having the site filled with plugs; but there is a difference between that, and people passing on information, such as 'I got one of those from HERE'; or indeed 'Th**nes have a sale on, chance to save a few bob pre-season'.

It would be good if the site could differentiate between the two, but not knowing about websites, or even how many goblins it takes to work one, I don't know if it's possible.

Also, if you can get round it with a tiny link, doesn't that rather spoil the point?

Last edited:
I nearly ordered some stuff from there last weekend but then changed my mind as I dont need it yet.....
My calculations are that I shall save nearly £50.

Like many others I get an email telling me of offers and sales, so I assume that those who dont get the same email have never bought anything from the company in question or possbly there was an option on their ordering system to opt out of receiving notification emails...

Last edited:
T**RNES don't like me - I rely on the forum to hear about their sales...but it does help to know what will be offered!

The Cumbrian,

However there are times when it is extremely frustrating and even counter productive.

This has nothing whatever to do with links - they are another issue. This is blatant commercial advertising - as in posting wares/services for sale.

if I visit the site from a tiny link it doesn't stick in my mind

Just 'bookmark' the site when you decide it is worth saving?

RAB

Last edited:

one could always try a g****e search for Th****s beekeeping supplies.

Like many others I get an email telling me of offers and sales, so I assume that those who don't get the same email have never bought anything from the company in question or possibly there was an option on their ordering system to opt out of receiving notification emails...
Without mentioning prices and purely as an aid to save anyone buying at full price before the sale and regretting it, anyone who has not seen it should be aware that the list is shorter than the full sale. It includes BS National deep and shallow 'standard' foundation, hive parts and frames. 14x12 frames only - no other hive types. Also lists comb cutter and containers and a limited number of the items which were in the previous sale, BS frame feeder, frame grip, frame nails, occasional jacket and veil (large only), large smoker, strainers, uncapping fork and knife, valve, ventilated mouseguard and wire excluder grid.

It does look very much like the items from the previous sale they are still overstocked on. Or in the case of wax and hive parts, they will be overstocked if they keep the production facilities occupied.

I don't recall any option for email. Login user id is the email address, buy something and you are included. Neither the user details page or the email circular include an option to not be circulated with offers. The email may be treated as spam in some systems, without an opt out it's in dodgy territory.

One of the circulars previously did mention a new sales website was on the way, better integrated with stock and production. Perhaps the lack of opt out is another reason to replace the existing one. No website mention of the sale or price list, Curiously the facebook page lists the date but not prices and no twitter since November. All a bit disorganised really, like many of the beekeeping connected organisations' approach to the internet.

For what it's worth, plus one for the policy of restricting the commercial mentions. It's not hard to say what you want by adding a few spaces. Leaving them open risks attracting those trying to game search rankings with repeated mentions of trading names or links. Not that many of the reputable suppliers would do that, or in many cases know why they might try.

No, commercial parts :banghead:

I nearly ordered some stuff from there last weekend but then changed my mind as I dont need it yet.....
My calculations are that I shall save nearly £50.

Like many others I get an email telling me of offers and sales, so I assume that those who dont get the same email have never bought anything from the company in question or possbly there was an option on their ordering system to opt out of receiving notification emails...

i have bought from them both by phone and internet. and i still dont receive their sales stuff. i have received and ordered catalouges and all sorts of other stuff. people fall through the cracks you know

I support the general anti commercial stance of the forum but deleting the info about Big T's sale (and lets face it, the majority of us are interested) is going one step too far. If you read the quote included in my post this is what it was about.

Also, will the beekeeping directory be accepting paid adverts? (from the "sponsors")

the facebook page does list what's included and prices - you just need to click the "see more" link.

I think the big T have just realised that there is still pent up demand from amongst their interested recent customers hence the lack of general publicity.

i have bought from them both by phone and internet. and i still dont receive their sales stuff. i have received and ordered catalouges and all sorts of other stuff. people fall through the cracks you know

LOL I actually get 2 emails now as I used 2 different email addresses when ordering in the past!

Yes we now have the beekeeping directory,especially set up for any commercial sellers,that is why it was set up. With regards to advertising prices, and goods for sale,on the forum,and only from select commercial sellers,(some who contribute absolutely nothing to this forum),yet not allowing others to do the same,many who are active,and often helpful members,would be a very unfair system.

"No need to convince OH, just go ahead and then have them delivered elsewhere."

Apparently JMB's mother provides a reasonably priced service; receiving and laundering beekeeping paraphanalia.

Payment usually consists on digging and maintaining her garden, tending the greenhouse, scrubbing the paving on the patio etc repairing the shed roof after a storm, carrying the shopping from the car. shooting the odd magpie or grey squirrel and the occasional bit of butchery oh, and the odd jar of exclusive award winning Brynmair honey! - doesn't always sound reasonable but then , she is my Mam :)

Latest posts

Back