Thornes must be feeling the slump-another sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuperscalatescolisticTh**nesbeehiveareus

I started this thread and specifically did not add a price list,

i have posted the price list in the past for all the major retailers then regretted it as it was a blatant advert for them. Hope Mr H the moderator was not too unhappy with me for starting this thread

( DR Stritson Smart Car may need a trailer next year as he got his Bee bits 10% cheaper than the on line sale)

I started this thread and specifically did not add a price list,
Hope Mr H the moderator was not too unhappy with me for starting this thread

Not at all unhappy with you MM, no reason at all to be so.

The current Forum logic could be extended to say that all nouns should be included just in case they're adverts. I suggest (again) that no words should be excluded automatically and the decision made by the moderators based on the content of the post.

Eg. Q. I need to buy some equipment - are there any suppliers local to me in Sussex? A. You could try Paynes in Hassocks.

vs

Buy our equipement www.paynes.co.uk

R2

The current Forum logic could be extended to say that all nouns should be included just in case they're adverts. I suggest (again) that no words should be excluded automatically and the decision made by the moderators based on the content of the post.

Eg. Q. I need to buy some equipment - are there any suppliers local to me in Sussex? A. You could try Paynes in Hassocks.

vs

Buy our equipement www.paynes.co.uk

R2

:iagree: It can make it quite difficult to discuss kit if you cant reference suppliers- which is why people evade it eg th0rnes- everyone knows who you mean, it's just a bit more fiddly.

It is hardly worthy of comment that Th-rnes are having another sale.

Having looked at the 'sale' items it looks as though they're just dumping stuff that has come to light after a stock-take.

One of the highlights of Stoneleigh last year was sitting having a cup of tea and seeing the happy shoppers, beaming insane smiles of delight as they wheeled or struggled to carry their early morning purchases from Th-rnes 'sale' in the hall to the car park. Next year I'm going to film it.

Th-rnes hav excellent publicity through all the gossip among beekeepers and specualtion as to whether they're feeling the pinch. What pinch! Every money grabber there is is chasing for the 'bargains' - the firm's busy as hell. Next it'll be the 'Final Clearance', they've had the moving to new premises sale, end of season sale ........

It is hardly worthy of comment that Th-rnes are having another sale.

Having looked at the 'sale' items it looks as though they're just dumping stuff that has come to light after a stock-take.

One of the highlights of Stoneleigh last year was sitting having a cup of tea and seeing the happy shoppers, beaming insane smiles of delight as they wheeled or struggled to carry their early morning purchases from Th-rnes 'sale' in the hall to the car park. Next year I'm going to film it.

Th-rnes hav excellent publicity through all the gossip among beekeepers and specualtion as to whether they're feeling the pinch. What pinch! Every money grabber there is is chasing for the 'bargains' - the firm's busy as hell. Next it'll be the 'Final Clearance', they've had the moving to new premises sale, end of season sale ........

Possible translation: How dare a company be successful by fulfilling a need?! I'm concerned that some feel the need to ridicule those who choose to buy from the likes of Thornes (why the need for misspellings when you can just change the colour of some of the text to black?). I happily went to two of their Sales last year and sped around gathering gear - whilst perhaps amusing to a watching cynic it was a necessary action to keep my costs down while setting up. I daresay that Thornes buy in seconds for the sales but who cares if it is cheap and fit for purpose.

R2

Does nobody consider using the PM system if they want specifics? You don't have to give out links for commercial enterprises, which may well lower the forum on the goggle favouites list, or blatantly advertise your own stuff to one and all.

Possible translation: How dare a company be successful by fulfilling a need?! I'm concerned that some feel the need to ridicule those who choose to buy from the likes of Thornes (why the need for misspellings when you can just change the colour of some of the text to black?). I happily went to two of their Sales last year and sped around gathering gear - whilst perhaps amusing to a watching cynic it was a necessary action to keep my costs down while setting up. I daresay that Thornes buy in seconds for the sales but who cares if it is cheap and fit for purpose.

R2

1. Read wot I rote!

2. We already had ours ........:rolleyes:

3. MYOB on misspelings - it wasn't, and how I present certain words

4. V pleased at Th-rnes' success.

5. I wasn't saying Th-rnes bought in seconds - YOU have.

6. Grow up and have a laugh at life

Oh, and smile when you come out of the door. YOU, could be on candid camera.

It was like watching bees leaving the hive through a 1 cm hole in attack mode - what fun!

Just buying a few things on the sale. In the hope I see my first harvest in May this year (OSR) and need to uncap before extracting, between the plastic uncapping fork and the cold uncapping knife - which is the better option?

Not an answer to you question but I believe alot of people are switching to using a hot air gun.

Put my order in this morning.. Bought a couple of things I didnt really want or need because it took the order to £102 and saved £30 postage...

Just buying a few things on the sale. In the hope I see my first harvest in May this year (OSR) and need to uncap before extracting, between the plastic uncapping fork and the cold uncapping knife - which is the better option?

Each has their own preferences, personally a bread knife and jug of hot water does me, though I also use an "official" uncapping knife

I like my metal uncapping fork but then I had only two and a half supers to do last season. I find a knife doesn't work well with the lumps and bumps you find on the wax and I've heard that a hot air gun will vapourize some of the wax in the cappings and heat the honey,altering the taste, but I don't know how true that is.
I find it quite therapeutic snapping away with the fork in my warm conservatory trying to get as little wax on the tines as I can :)

Well I had always used a knife in years gone by, but tried a fork last year. Would not go back to a knife, but may try hot air gun next year.

I've tried the hot air gun and it wouldn't work for me. Others can get it to work so probably best to get shown how to use it from someone who can.

I use a cold knife most of the time. A blade with a wavy edge (not serrated) seems to work. I also use an uncapping fork (cranked needles) if there are ony a few frames to uncap. The big advantage of the uncapping fork is it produces very little wastage. If you use a knife you will probably end up with lots of honey in the cappings and be stuck with what to do with it.

Argh!! Had to conclude the sale before I received all this advice, to avoid being timed out - bought the knife !!:banghead:

I'll email Gill and ask her if I can swop it for one of the better quality forks. They're good like that.

Back