THorne sale prices on line

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not class it in the save vogue as a true "sale" , it is often said that they "produce" seconds for such a sale and therfore demand can be met?

Either way my order will be going in ASAP on the 29th November 9:00....the new beekeeping season begins!:party:

Was wonderin is this all that is on sale? As I was looking frames but I wouldnt need all 50.

Thanks

Stephen

Trust us Stephen, buy the 50. You'll need em. If you look at brood frames then you could use 50 up just by splitting a hive that goes mad and decides to swarm and you do the AS's.
think
And super frames? I had a hive with 5 supers and another with 4 on last year. Thats 50 on one hive and 40 on another (i use 10 space castlelations).

Don't make the mistakeof buying a hive with one or two supers and think that will do you. It wont.

Brilliant thanks. Will just makee plastic spacers.

Stephen

Stephenw,

If purchasing from Th*rne, just look at the simple economics.

If you have National and want, say, a super of frames:

You need 11, so need to buy 2 packs - cost about 22 quid from the shop; buy 50 (about 48 or 49 usable) for 25 1/2 quid. So makes sense to get them now and not at the normal price.

A colony can easily be on a double brood or a brood and a half (before supering for honey) and then it makes swarm preparations. That's 33 frames for brood, in one form or another. Take Baggyone's advice. You need a lot more kit than the bare minimum for a single hive. Buy wisely.

Regards, RAB

Any cheap hives about? I need to prepare for my first bee hive in Spring

As mentioned elsewhere, Th0rnes do a very economical Bees on a Budget range. Perfect as long as you are happy to start on a single national brood, and hard to beat for price/quality unless you are lucky with a second hand hive.

Was wonderin is this all that is on sale? As I was looking frames but I wouldnt need all 50.

Thanks

Stephen
Re-sell the extras on ebay.. People seem to pay more for them there than they can get them from dealers for.

Monsieur A,

hard to beat for price/quality unless

I reckon it will be easy to beat with a poly national next year. I reckon there will be a lot taking a serious interest in the poly sector this coming season.

Regards, RAB

Monsieur A,

hard to beat for price/quality unless

I reckon it will be easy to beat with a poly national next year. I reckon there will be a lot taking a serious interest in the poly sector this coming season.

Regards, RAB

Well that's not true at all, shop around there are a few other suppliers not retailing Thornes products that are very competitive both quality and price, ********, Paynes, peak hives and BBH are all worth a look.

Polyhives may win on price but I am yet to be convinced on them, however in support I am looking to try one this year and run a direct comparison (as much as I can with the tiny sample set) against the cedar hives for quality, colony health, honey production etc.

Well that's not true at all

Well it is true. In the context of the post - and I was replying to Monsieur A's posting.

Yes, you can get a planet earth, or whatever their name is, hive for fifty quid. But quality was coming into consideration as well.

RAB

Quite right Rab my mistake as usually a quote would precede the reply I thought you were making a statement.

Nevertheless quality and value are easy to find and like I said it's not just Thornes either shop around is the point I was making.

RAB - of course Poly should become more cost effective, but I had assumed that a beginner would be heading for a more "traditional" build - may be wronmg of course and it wont be the first time.

Cheshire - last time I costed it out, a year or so back, the cost of buying a Bees on a Budget hive, which has pretty much everything you would want as a beginner, compared more than favourably with comparative hives and components from Mainsmore, Paynes etc etc.

Certainly not saying that Thornes are the cheapest for their standard hives, but these are IMHO, very good value and hard to beart. If you care to do a cost comparison for a similar specced "open mesh floor, brood body with 11 DN4 frames on metal runners, dummy board, 11 sheets of british standard deep wired foundation, harmless or slotted steel queen excluder, two supers each with 10 SN1 frames on metal castellations, 20 sheets of british standard shallow wired foundation, crownboard with two plastic porter bee escapes and a 4” roof" for less than £115 + VAT I'd be interested to see it.

I am going to venture into the world of poly next year, see my thread looking for a poly std national nuc.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95047#post95047

But despite the sugested desntiys, I still do not see them as been as strong as wood?

The way I sometimes have to move around wooden hives, stand on them, bashed around etc, will poy stand up to this?

trying to think of the reasons to stand on a hive ....is it to guard against them swarming ?

No!

Its when a short ar*e can not reach the top of a triple brood hive on a stand with 4 suppers on top!

Therfore a brood box trown on the floor, with a spare roof on become a step!:cheers2:

Jim? This where density comes in.

I will happily jump up and down on mine until the cows come home.

They are just as strong as wood with more than one advantage but I am whistling in the dark same as I have been doing for the last 20 years.

PH

Thanks Poly, as I said I have not seen them, hence why I have just bought 2.

But, when you think about it many crash helmets etc are made of poly.

Latest posts

Back