This years honey crop (so far)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the honey is in now we are well below what we would normally expect. Average spring, very poor summer and good heather crop.

From two national hives supplied in nucs I've managed 27lb from 16 frames so happy in first year

It was looking like a disaster in June when it rained virtually every day. We had no OSR this year so had to feed several weaker hives. The wild flower meadows were not mown for hay and this gave a good July flow. Left the extraction until end of August and have approx. 220lbs. We sold over 100 12oz jars at the door in the first 10 days of sales. They have tailed off a little but it is looking like the best year for some time. I have over 50 jars pre-ordered. My bees are very pleased!!!!

Just a tad over 1000lb in total, 76 12oz of heather jarred yesterday I hope to carry a good stock over to next year.

Finished the season in the end with approx 860 lbs at an average of 62 lbs per hive.

Just recently done two local fares and sold £930 and £477 so the sales are moving along nicely.

Just a tad over 1000lb in total, 76 12oz of heather jarred yesterday I hope to carry a good stock over to next year.

And where do you sell it please?
It's my favourite honey and I bought only two jars at Conwy Honey Fair so I'm looking out for more.....I'd have a bucket if anybody would sell me one....sigh

Not as good as last year but still managed between 50 - 60 lbs a hive. Noticed today bees flat out on the balsam busiest I have seen them all year Ho well don't think I need to feed again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only removed the supers yesterday, timed nicely judging by the strong smell of Ivy at the apiary. Not weighed as yet but it's nothing special.

0, nil, nothing except feeding tonnes of sugar all year. Worst year here in 30+ years.

Well i didnt get any maybe something to do with selling all my bees lol

Give it time Craig you be back with it shortly I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averaged 75lb per hive but that was 180lb on some and only 20lb on others in London suburbs, normally it is the reverse with higher yields in the london suburbs

but happy with over 1000lb extracted from my own and managed hives

I used a spiked roller on frames then spun them in the extractor.

And where do you sell it please?
It's my favourite honey and I bought only two jars at Conwy Honey Fair so I'm looking out for more.....I'd have a bucket if anybody would sell me one....sigh

Just got back with the first trailer load of bees from the heather, it looks like I'll have buckets and buckets to sell judging by the stiffness in my back now.

Just got back with the first trailer load of bees from the heather, it looks like I'll have buckets and buckets to sell judging by the stiffness in my back now.

I have heather honey envy!

Still extracting honey, but judging by what we have so far it will be very disappointing.

In total, 60 odd pounds from 3 operational hives.(The others were splits/weak at start year etc).

In hindsight, I should have extracted all honey in May and fed sugar.. and would have had around 100 pounds of honey then.. and nothing afterwards.
I am still feeding all hives as basically the summer has been so poor they have stored nothing since may and eaten half of their May stores. #

But this is entirely local weather conditions.. which saw a late and warm Spring and then a cold and wet summer. Lime missed due to rain.

Hey ho, live and learn, I will extract next Spring..if we have a good harvest..

# Anticipate 120kg of sugar at 45p/kg = £(54)
60 lb of honey at £5 = £300

Latest posts

Back