This years honey crop (so far)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have come across some different ways of quoting ones average.

1. The number of full size hives at the start of the season come spring after accounting for winter losses, DLQ etc. So if I start the season with 10 and end up with 15 its the 10 I use to calculate my average.
2. The numbers of full size hives you had at the end of the season.

Both options have been used by presenters at meeting, sometimes I have only found out after asking.
I can see advantages and disadvantages of both. Option 1 allows for splits which may both produce some honey but perhaps no more than if the colony wasn't split. It also allows one to 'inflate ' ones average yield.
Increased stock from collecting swarms and moving nucs to full size hives can generate significant amounts of honey but aren't accounted for in option 1.

I'm sure I've read somewhere (Manley??) that you should use the number that you took into the previous winter to calculate the average for the current season.
The logic of this was clear to me when I read it but that was probably as I was falling asleep assisted by a glass or two of wine. I think it was along the lines of the effort/cost that is put into managing colonies that fail to overwinter is overlooked unless it is accounted for in the average colony yield.

In view of eyemans remarks I give no figures. My best year yet. For the first time I ran all my hives as double brood. I usually only extract once in spring ( for the rape) and once in summer, but this year I had to do two summer extractions. I have no need to feed this year, again for the first time ever. Also created six Nucs early in the season which I used as brood factories as per Michael Palmer. The good weather here helped but I also intend to use my new management techniques again next year.

Glad to hear you've done well Drex, me ole mate not far away.
Me too. Entered spring with five colonies but two became DLQ. Thus left with three on brood and half. Yield 300 lbs.

First proper year I got 20lbs, and that was from a swarm, I'm just happy to get a return.

Andrew

Back