This cold weather...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I have a few questions. (1) what does AS mean? (2) when does the warm weather generally start for you in the UK and France?, because here we start warming up in April and we are lucky enough that some autumns it doesn't get down to freezing until the middle of October.

I remember April 26th,1986 very clearly. We were in a caravan at Kielder Water. It snowed. Caravans in those days were COLD when it snowed. I can remember it vividly.

(Date of the Chernobyl reactor explosion) .

So nothing surprising.

Okay I have a few questions. (1) what does AS mean? (2) when does the warm weather generally start for you in the UK and France?, because here we start warming up in April and we are lucky enough that some autumns it doesn't get down to freezing until the middle of October.

question one. Artificial swarm.

question 2. April, but not this year, the British Isles are very different in weather to any where.

AS= Artifical Swarm, normally a pagden swarm control (Old queen on original site with foundation frames, Brood+Queen cell on new site 5ft away

weather, currently temp in my area is averaging below 48F day 34F night, usually this time it is 58F Day/ 40F night but we have a varried climate so you get days normally above 65F when continental air is pulled up from France/Spain

past years swarming starts end of April in conjested colonies

Also just discovered 1 kg equals about 2 pounds

A Guide to the Metric System for the unenlightened:-

Two and a quarter pounds of jam is roughly one kilogram.

25 mm = 1 inch

1 metre = 39+ inches

1 tonne (1000 kg) nearly = 1 ton

100°C = 232°F

1 litre = 4 cups

CVB

as long as there is pollen in the hive the queen will continue to lay, if the cold weather lasts and the pollen runs low she will slow down if not stop completely, but at this stage in the season I would guess they have enough pollen in the hive to keep her majesty going for about 12 days without issue.

Talk about the weather and you will engage with everyone on the forum

It is unseasonably cold here at the moment although the news reminded us all last night that in 1984 the was 24 inches of snow across much of England. But still... It is unseasonably cold.

BTW, I appreciate your contribution from over the pond

Also just discovered 1 kg equals about 2 pounds

2.2lbs=1kg :)

(2) when does the warm weather generally start for you in the UK and France?, because here we start warming up in April and we are lucky enough that some autumns it doesn't get down to freezing until the middle of October.
It depends where because, although UK is small, the climate varies hugely and some areas of the west coast almost never freeze - thanks to the Gulf Stream.

Another hail shower this morning and T hasn't struggled over 7
Asparagus doesn't seem to mind

Attachments

• IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 23
2.2lbs=1kg :)

It depends where because, although UK is small, the climate varies hugely and some areas of the west coast almost never freeze - thanks to the Gulf Stream.

Which explains the British obsession with talking about the weather! Where else can you have every seasons weather on the same day!

The weather has been so bad up here so far this year that we've only been able to open the hives twice this year to do our inspections, and also the bees flying days are very few and far between. We've also noticed when they do fly that the amount of pollen being brought is very low, as local forage is poor.

The weathers that poor that our daffodils are only just flowering at our apiary, we are that far behind this year.

We are putting Mannlake pollen patties continually on all the hives to allow them to continual raise brood during this ongoing appalling weather system we are experiencing so we don't fall too far behind with brood and hive production when the weather does finally pick up.

This year is frustrating :hairpull:

Andy.

The weather has been so bad up here so far this year that we've only been able to open the hives twice this year to do our inspections, and also the bees flying days are very few and far between. We've also noticed when they do fly that the amount of pollen being brought is very low, as local forage is poor.

The weathers that poor that our daffodils are only just flowering at our apiary, we are that far behind this year.

We are putting Mannlake pollen patties continually on all the hives to allow them to continual raise brood during this ongoing appalling weather system we are experiencing so we don't fall too far behind with brood and hive production when the weather does finally pick up.

This year is frustrating :hairpull:

Andy.
Thats like summer compared to here, Snow and sleet and the mercury is saying -2 C in the car, definitely not normal.

Perhaps we should be grateful. Think how much worse it would be if we hadn't had global warming?

Last edited:
your fine, one of my favorite songs of all time

Time to dig the pollen patties out again :)

Perhaps we should be grateful. Think how much worse it would be if we hadn't had global warming?

It's sure going to be interesting when the next cooling cycle bites and our coal fired power stations aren't available because of the crazy policies our betters inflicted on us. :sos:

Latest posts

Back