Third swarm of bees to occupy my traffic cone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was that when his rods swung around and poked him in the eye?
We were going to get together at the Sussex Bee Auction and do some dowsing together to see if we both came up with the same results but I arrived late and there were so many lots the auction took forever (he was one of the auctioneers) - I had my rods with me in readiness but I'm sure we will find another opportunity at some point ...

And yet again I have to post that there's no plausible evidence that ley lines or 'energy' lines exist. And note that whilst some people might draw a distinction between the two, Roger Patterson (since he was been mentioned) has actually written that he just prefers latter name, not that they're different. He says "In 2009 I was made aware by a fellow beekeeper, John Harding, of ley lines, that I prefer to call energy lines."

"energy in the earth's crust". Really, just no. What "energy" in the earth's crust? How does it form lines? And why/how would it make a pair of bent wires move? The answer to "How do you know energy lines exist?" seems to be "Because I can find them by dowsing" and "How do we know dowsing works?" is "Because I can find energy lines using it".

As I've pointed out repeatedly before, there are lots of solid explanations as to why people think dowsing works when it's just a figment of their imagination. No-one has ever genuinely demonstrated the existence of ley lines, nor "energy lines", nor the validity of dowsing in a manner that would stand up to scientific scrutiny. "I've tried it and it worked for me" just doesn't pass muster. Not even remotely. Nor even "A few of us have tried it and it worked for us". If you think it does then go and learn how science tests hypotheses so that we can be as sure as possible that we really know what we think we know, because it's just not that straightforward.

I'd suggest that in the instance of the traffic cone it's far more likely that the scout bees responded favourably to the existence of pheromones or wax deposits or something else like that on the inside of the cone which might be reinforced as more swarms settle there. If the cone were moved away from its current location then quite possibly they'd still find and use it unless there was then a nearer more appealing site.

There are many more plausible explanations that should be considered before inventing some woo woo that has no basis in fact.

James

I find by standing on my shed roof naked howling at the sky and harvesting my honey in time with the phases of the moon I seem to attract swarms to bait hives every year

Does it attract members of the local constabulary, too? Do you think they follow the energy lines?

James

And yet again I have to post that there's no plausible evidence that ley lines or 'energy' lines exist.

At this stage of "global knowledge" you may be correct.
However, it is a well known "fact" that the earth vibrates and we know the frequency etc.
If you spread iron filings on a table and vibrate it they form patterns. If there are irregularities in the table they affect the patterns. Slight changes to the frequency, pressure or direction changes the patterns.

It would seem plausible that underground structures or material, particularly water, could affect something on the surface. Hence higgledy piggledy "lines"

Just a thought. I have NO idea if they hold water! However, having grown up in an arid region of Africa I am convinced that dowsing sticks are better for finding boreholes than "more scientific" gadgets. I've pretty much seen them all. Too much "coincidence".

My great great aunt Hetty Thomas (died 1978) would have said I was reading too many Rupert annuals if I had told her that one day I'd be sat in my shed talking to two people in a video chat, one in Tanzania and another in Ethiopia, on a pocket size phone with no wires connecting us.

On Tuesday, June 1st, 2021, at around 11.30 am., a swarm of bees left my No.1 hive and settled on a low branch in a nearby Scots Pine tree; I was there and I saw them do it.
On Wednesday June 1st, 2022 at around 11.30 am, a swarm of bees left my No.1 hive and settled on a low branch in a nearby Scots Pine tree; I was there and I saw them do it.
On Thursday 1st June 2023 at around 11.30 am, a swarm of bees will leave my No.1 hive and settle on a low branch in a nearby Scots Pine tree; I will be there and I will see them do it.

Is that somehow mystical or are there practical explanations?

June 1st is quite likely to be a warm, sunny day up here and by that date, with a beekeeper like me, the colony is most likely to have reached swarming size. The tree branch hangs low, is sheltered, is in dappled shade, and pine needles give the bees good purchase on which to grip. It's more likely that the chemical compounds the bees will have deposited on the tree last year have persisted and that it is the definitive suitability of that location rather than that there is some unknown, mystical force at work, which makes the bees cluster there. I work from home and I'm rarely away from the bees for more than an hour at this time of year, so it's no surprise that I spotted the swarm leaving.

There's no need to be for or against ley-lines, nor to try to make them sound more scientific by calling them "energy Lines", simply look at the blatantly obvious realities of the situation.

At this stage of "global knowledge" you may be correct.
However, it is a well known "fact" that the earth vibrates and we know the frequency etc.

We can't really meaningfully discuss what we will know in a future stage of "global knowledge" :)

You're presumably talking about Schumann Resonances here. As I understand it that's a fairly well-understood electromagnetic effect in the atmosphere, not really "the Earth" that's vibrating. I don't see how it relates to alleged "energy lines" in the Earth's crust. If it's not Schumann Resonances, then please post more details.

It would seem plausible that underground structures or material, particularly water, could affect something on the surface. Hence higgledy piggledy "lines"

This is surely the principle of ground penetrating radar and similar methods beloved of archaeologists. The point is that there's no problem demonstrating under experimental conditions that these effects genuinely exist.

I am convinced that dowsing sticks are better for finding boreholes than "more scientific" gadgets. I've pretty much seen them all. Too much "coincidence".

Yet when the effect is rigorously tested, dowsing achieves results no better than chance. Even in conditions where so-called "expert" dowsers believe they are absolutely certain of getting a positive result.

James

My great great aunt Hetty Thomas (died 1978) would have said I was reading too many Rupert annuals if I had told her that one day I'd be sat in my shed talking to two people in a video chat, one in Tanzania and another in Ethiopia, on a pocket size phone with no wires connecting us.

WITCHCRAFT ! BURN HER !

On Tuesday, June 1st, 2021, at around 11.30 am., a swarm of bees left my No.1 hive and settled on a low branch in a nearby Scots Pine tree; I was there and I saw them do it.
On Wednesday June 1st, 2022 at around 11.30 am, a swarm of bees left my No.1 hive and settled on a low branch in a nearby Scots Pine tree; I was there and I saw them do it.
On Thursday 1st June 2023 at around 11.30 am, a swarm of bees will leave my No.1 hive and settle on a low branch in a nearby Scots Pine tree; I will be there and I will see them do it.

Is that somehow mystical or are there practical explanations?

June 1st is quite likely to be a warm, sunny day up here and by that date, with a beekeeper like me, the colony is most likely to have reached swarming size. The tree branch hangs low, is sheltered, is in dappled shade, and pine needles give the bees good purchase on which to grip. It's more likely that the chemical compounds the bees will have deposited on the tree last year have persisted and that it is the definitive suitability of that location rather than that there is some unknown, mystical force at work, which makes the bees cluster there. I work from home and I'm rarely away from the bees for more than an hour at this time of year, so it's no surprise that I spotted the swarm leaving.

There's no need to be for or against ley-lines, nor to try to make them sound more scientific by calling them "energy Lines", simply look at the blatantly obvious realities of the situation.

The only 'Blatantly Obvious Realities of the Situation' from where I'm standing is you clearly didn't practice swarm control management or need to get a new pair of specs to spot the swarm cells....

The only 'Blatantly Obvious Realities of the Situation' from where I'm standing is you clearly didn't practice swarm control management or need to get a new pair of specs to spot the swarm cells....

I have practiced swarm control management two years running and I expect to continue practicing in 2023. ;)

Latest posts

Back