Third swarm of bees to occupy my traffic cone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were the traffic cones in the same place when each swarm arrived ? What I'd like to know is whether the swarm was attracted to the traffic cones or whether they were attracted to the actual spot ?

I find that the swarms that arrive in my garden inevitably land in the same spot where there is a lilac tree in the front garden....

I know it's going to raise a hornets nest but I've dowsed the spot and it's an intersection of three energy lines that cross the front garden. From year to year it cannot be residual pheremones as the branches they settle on I normally cut off to collect the swarms and the tree gets pruned back annually as well.

Why does it happen ? Coincidence ? There are trees all around the front garden that they could land on ... and these swarms (apart from one) were not from my bees.

The bait hive on my potting shed roof attteacts at least one swarm every year. After the first I usually swap it for the one I have in our field. I’ve had success with that one only twice in ten years. For me It’s the position not the box

It's been in the same spot for years, under the same tree.
In fact, we've caught two swarms this year (this is now the 3rd) in or under the same tree. We caught two other swarms within about 10m of the tree (so that makes five swarms this year alone).
We've not dowsed but quite keen to do so (bring on the hornets!). We often ponder over this - do swarms keep coming to this spot because it's where our hives are or is it a ley line? We have no idea TBH, but curious.

Just to add: last year we caught two swarms at the same tree. However, this year my daughter and her husband decided to try living in a tent about 20m from the tree. They heard the swarms - hence why we have so many more. In the past it was coincidence that we happen to have been outside when a swarm came by. Probably missed a few. Living in a tent is the best way to catch a swarm! :p

It's been in the same spot for years, under the same tree.
In fact, we've caught two swarms (this is now the 3rd) in or under the same tree. We caught two other swarms within about 10m of the tree (so that makes five swarms this year alone).
We've not dowsed but quite keen to do so (bring on the hornets!). We often ponder over this - do swarms keep coming to this spot because it's where are hives are or is it a ley line? We have no idea TBH, but curious.
https://www.beesource.com/threads/honey-bees-and-ley-lines.370481/
Note ... avoid the term Ley lines - they were invented by joining up points on maps marked by various random structures or natural features - really you could make them work for anything,

The lines found by dowsing are defined by energy in the earth's crust and I would term them Energy lines. All you need is a couple of wire coat hangers or some brazing rod - bend a right angle in them and stick the short end into a couple of Bic biro tubes so that they swing freely.

All you have to do then is wander around with them, looking stupid whilst ignoring the taunts of the sceptics who will be along shortly to denound it as hocus pocus and asking you to prove it ...

Were the traffic cones in the same place when each swarm arrived ? What I'd like to know is whether the swarm was attracted to the traffic cones or whether they were attracted to the actual spot ?

I find that the swarms that arrive in my garden inevitably land in the same spot where there is a lilac tree in the front garden....

I know it's going to raise a hornets nest but I've dowsed the spot and it's an intersection of three energy lines that cross the front garden. From year to year it cannot be residual pheremones as the branches they settle on I normally cut off to collect the swarms and the tree gets pruned back annually as well.

Why does it happen ? Coincidence ? There are trees all around the front garden that they could land on ... and these swarms (apart from one) were not from my bees.
I'm glad you mentioned the dowsing. I thought about getting rods to test where to put my hives :)

I know it's going to raise a hornets nest but I've dowsed the spot and it's an intersection of three energy lines that cross the front garden.

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia

I have noticed that no-one ever seems to have done this dowsing stuff before they notice swarms arriving at a certain site. It's always afterwards .... and, magically, they then discover energy lines leading to that place.

What I'd like to know is whether the swarm was attracted to the traffic cones or whether they were attracted to the actual spot
Not the first time I've heard of bees in traffic cones. A local tree surgeon I know does a lot of contracts for the highways agency and he sent me a picture of a colony in an abandoned traffic cone on the hard shoulder of the M4

A wire coat hanger is sufficient but if you want something fancy @pargyle does a great line in turned handles.
Hand turned, by me, in Yew from my garden - complete with copper coated rods. £5 a set plus whatever the postage cost is ...

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia

I have noticed that no-one ever seems to have done this dowsing stuff before they notice swarms arriving at a certain site. It's always afterwards .... and, magically, they then discover energy lines leading to that place.
I think you will find that Roger Patterson has done some blind testing ....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back