Thin to thick

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I've 3.5 litres of thin syrup left over from spring feeding. Can any of you mathematical genii tell be how much sugar in need to add to it for autumn feeding.

I've 3.5 litres of thin syrup left over from spring feeding. Can any of you mathematical genii tell be how much sugar in need to add to it for autumn feeding.
not a very straightforward calculation as volumes and densities change. Also depends what you mean by thin and thick, some use pounds per pint and some kilos per litre.
If you started with 1litre water to 1kg sugar (which is what I use) an want to make it 1litre to 2kg sugar then:-

1kg sugar in 1 litre water makes 1.6 litres of syrup from prior observation, unfortunately I don't have the figure for 2kg/l.
So in your 3.5 litres you have 3.5÷1,6=2.1875Kg sugar, call it 2.2kg.
So, zero some scales with a bucket on, add your syrup, add 1.8kg sugar (total 4kg sugar), then top up with water to 6kg.

Or like the pragmatic approach above chuck sugar in until you can't dissolve any more, then add a bit of water so it doesn't crystallise out too easily.

🤖 Blerp, bleepy, bleep...
If its 1:1 syrup, put 3.5 kg of sugar in it, to make it 2:1.

End of the day, just put a load of sugar in it, the bees will eat it. They don't care about exact ratios, they just want carbs.
Bees aren't proud.
By my reckoning there is 1.56kg of sugar in 3.5kg of 1/1 syrup therefore add an additional 1,56kg!

Actually looking back at my maths you must have 4.4kg total in your 3.5litres so adding 1.8kg will already be 6.2kg.
If you wanted it exact you could add a further 2kg sugar on top of the 1.8 to total 6kg sugar, then top up to 9kg with water.

Having said that I'd just chuck another kilo in and not worry. 😁

if it there wasn't any thymol in the thin syrup in the first place, I suspect its a lot thinner, a bit fizzy and smells rather alcoholic now :LOL:

Latest posts

Back