Thermosolar Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this solar hive ( NOT to be confused with the Sun Hive that relied on focusing the energy of the cosmos utilising crystals and pyramidics) works... the theory is convincing.. then I can not see why any propensity to encourage swarming would be problematic... as the beekeeper would need to be in constant attendance to regulate temperatures.

Some wonderful old video of skeppists doing just that in Germany ... posted by Polly hive some many moons ago
Link Please!

Off to bid farewell to the Giant Tavy now as he sails past Cothele from Calstock down the Greatgreygreenslimeytamarriverallsetaboutwithemptysecondhomes......

Then Padstow for a song or two and a few pints of Trewlany

Mai lowen

Yeghes da

Some wonderful old video of skeppists doing just that in Germany ... posted by Polly hive some many moons ago
Link Please!

Padstow eh - give my regards to James Geach if he's around (I'm assuming he would be).
Here you go - about eight or nine in total if I recall - going through the whole season. Good old Georg Klingfordt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2IjNBbLESY

For $620 you could get a a National Thermosolar hive, with the fancy clear roof, windows in the boxes and instrumentation. It's expensive but not as expensive as the Flow™Hive.

I was wondering if a well insulated poly hive with a temporary glass roof/cover-board and a bit of instrumentation would do the same job on a sunny day - looks like a job for Pargyle!

CVB

I've just lashed out £1.76 on a portable digital thermometer and hygrometer with probe on Ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-M...613545?hash=item1c58c869a9:g:pWAAAOSwd0BV5pYX

I aim to see what happens when I remove the roof and expose the brood to the sun on a hot day via a clear cover board in the hope of lifting the temperature to 40°C as per a thermosolar hive and see what happens. I bought the unit that gives humidity because I thought it might be interesting to check on RH if and when the temperature rises.

The item has to come from Hong Kong so I could have a super or two in place before it arrives - not quite sure what to do when a super is in place - maybe remove the super for the 3 hours or so that the heat treatment is happening.

CVB

I wonder how much energy you need from that tiny solar cell to heat all of the hive to over 40oc for over an hour?

I wonder how much energy you need from that tiny solar cell to heat all of the hive to over 40oc for over an hour?

I don't think any solar cell is involved - you just open up the sides and top to expose the "glass" windows on a sunny day and the internal temperature rises, hopefully to over 40°C for 150 minutes and kills all the mites (or at least stops them breeding, not sure which). There's some instrumentation that tells you what the temperature is like inside the hive.

I can't understand why they have gone the crowdfunding route. It seems that it's easier to get money from crowdfunding than by advertising the product in the time-honoured way. At least with the Flow™Hive, they were looking for $70,000 to buy some tooling to make the plastic Flow™Frames so that future versions would be cheaper - not sure what happened to that aspiration when they were funded to the tune of $11million!

Anybody got a better explanation for the crowdfunding for the Solar Hive?

CVB

Latest posts

Back