The things some folks do

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
This year I have had two experiences whilst collecting swarms that beggers belief.

The first:
Got called out to a swarm, but halfway there, got a call cancelling the collection as 'A friend wanted to keep bees and her husband had bought her a hive and this would start her off'. As I was not far away, I said I would still call, her friend could keep the bees and I would give any help if needed.

On arrival, the 'hive' had been placed below the swarm that was only 300mm (12" near as dammit in old money) off the ground and they were hoping the bees would just go in on their own accord.

The hive type, National? Commercial, Langstroth? nope A Bumble Bee Box bought off ebay that was half the size of the swarm.

The second:

Called to another swarm on a fence, nothing too odd about that until I was about to leave. I was asked to see the neighbour next door as he had 'a few bees' on his side of the fence. I thought this was strange as I had looked and could not see any.

When I went around, the bees were in a plant pot at the bottom of the fence all wet and I thought dead.

As I was told, the swarm flew into his garden and landed on the fence. His attempt to get rid of them was to shower them with water, and some fell into the flower pot. When this did not get rid of them, he got a shovel and pushed them over the fence onto the neighbours side and then went round and told him he had a swarm and should get rid of them.

The wet bees revived and are a good strong colony.

On arrival, the 'hive' had been placed below the swarm that was only 300mm (12" near as dammit in old money) off the ground and they were hoping the bees would just go in on their own accord.

The hive type, National? Commercial, Langstroth? nope A Bumble Bee Box bought off ebay that was half the size of the swarm.

Awwwww, sweet.

....but not number 2 although you can see his point of view.

Chris

I was called out to remove a colony from under the eaves of an 11th C mansion last year and the guy said he wanted to keep them.........

right so you expect me to climb up the scaffolding, get the bees into a hive from their established home, a very tricky thing to do, and then just give them to you/keep them on your land?............

He had no knowledge.
No hive/equipment.
No protective gear.
No clue!!!!!!!

Some people take the mickey!

I had a call from a woman that had just moved into a house that had not been lived in for about a year.
She rang the council and was given my number, I have bees all over the garden she told me.
I asked if it was a swarm so said no they are all over the flowers....and its the same in my neighbours garden too

I explained to her that's what bees do and it would be quite safe to go put into the garden.

I put the phone down and thought what is happening to the world.....

LOL. To be fair, if I'd have known this time last year that you could ring out beekeepers, I would have had them on speed dial to remove them when they flew into my house to my horror, which meant I would have to vacate until they flew back out again haha.

Education, that's what's needed. Since I've found out about bees, the less afraid I have become. Parents who at first objected to the school keeping bees now ask me how they are doing when they see me with the equipment, and what procedures I'm doing that day. I think a lot of it is ignorance as to what it takes to keep bees.

What's a NIMBY?!
somebody who didnt want bees in his back yard, as oppossed to me who does want bees in his back yard, but if I didnt I would be a nimby and Not (want them) In My Back Yard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back