The importance of being stung.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I have been watching beekeeping videos, and came across one where a beekeeper states that people who come into contact with bee proteins, but don't get stung regularly, are likely to suffer a severe allergy to the sting. He states his daughter had a severe reaction, and when he saw her allergist, they told him that in the general population, 1 out of 200 people will be severely allergic, but in commercial bee families that number is 1 in 10!! He recommends being stung at least once every month. He blames her allergy to the fact that he used to pick her up from daycare in his beekeeping clothes, where she came into contact with bee protein.

Is he talking twaddle or does he have a case?

Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0QB96RrGdM

I actually tried it once! It takes a lot of nerve to 'get yourself stung'. Trust me it will happen often enough for you to be ok!
E

I have been really lucky so far! I haven't been stung yet. There was an incident where I trapped a bee while lifting a super and I don't know if I was stung or not. It was on the bend of my first finger, on the inside. I felt a hint of burning but nothing else, and it should have been really painful when stung there, which is why I don't know if I was actually stung lol

It may not be twaddle either. ITLD has mentioned similar findings, his son developed a reaction and went on a desensitisation course.

Last weekend our beginners who haven't yet been stung lined up to have bees put on their hands to induce stinging. I think it's important that you should get stung - in company to see what the initial reaction is.

He blames her allergy to the fact that he used to pick her up from daycare in his beekeeping clothes, where she came into contact with bee protein.

Is he talking twaddle or does he have a case?

It may not be twaddle either. ITLD has mentioned similar findings, his son developed a reaction and went on a desensitisation course.

:iagree: And didn't somebody else on the forum say their non beekeeping wife became allergic in the same way?

He said everyone who comes into contact with bee protein could be affected, such as his wife, who washes his bee clothes. It's an interesting theory, and one I've not heard of before.

I'm sure I'll get stung soon enough. I think my armour is just too good. I've seen bees try and sting me through my gloves but they never get through. I only use thick washing up gloves.

With some allergies even washing clothes with the antigen on in the same batch of washing as other garments can transfer it to the clothes of other members of the family so I imagine putting the beesuit in the washer with other clothing would do this.

Last weekend our beginners who haven't yet been stung lined up to have bees put on their hands to induce stinging. I think it's important that you should get stung - in company to see what the initial reaction is.

I'm not enough of a sadist to organise such an "initiation ceremony" -- though, now you mention it … :)

If you are going to have an anaphylaxic shock, it is rarely the first sting that causes it.

Last edited:
no, but it's good to know whether you react normally or not. I had never thought of doing this until two of the beginners mentioned that they would like to get stung sooner rather than later to measure their reaction.After doing a whole inspection without gloves and not getting tagged we decided to force the issue

:iagree: And didn't somebody else on the forum say their non beekeeping wife became allergic in the same way?

I am pretty sure that Michael Palmer posted exactly this on this forum.

He has a video also at [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0QB96RrGdM[/ame]

Swarm is right, All beekeeping clothing was washed in a dedicated area and not taken home and washed in the domestic machine

no, but it's good to know whether you react normally or not. I had never thought of doing this until two of the beginners mentioned that they would like to get stung sooner rather than later to measure their reaction.After doing a whole inspection without gloves and not getting tagged we decided to force the issue

After the first sting the dread factor has gone;)

Back