The girls on the gorse at weekend.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shots, particularly the top one.

I was walking my dog today and came across what I think were my bees working both gorse and pussy willow a quarter of a mile from my house. The pussy willow was the favourite amongst the bees though, by a significant margin.

Unlike Paul I didn't have a camera with me - or the skill to take such shots!

As I keep my bees rather high the willow is always late so the gorse pretty much all they can get at the moment. However they are around 30 acres of land that has allot of willow once it does flower.

Thanks for thecomments on the photos.

Great shots, just googled the lense. At £948 I will give that one a miss.

Lovely pictures, wish I could take ones like that!

Glad to see bees on gorse. Is it only pollen they are after or does gorse give nectar
Cliff

Great photos. I've got about 10 acres of gorse right next to my apiary just about to come into flower.

To be honest I have no idea if it provides nectre but they certainly bring in quite a bit of pollen from it.

To be honest I have no idea on the strain of bee, their is a possibility of three so your guess is as good as mine.

Gorse has a very distinct smell when yielding nectar and it most likely will not be at current temps. If however it is a good 20C+ then yes it may well.

PH

We have lots of gorse within 100m of our hives, and if as usual some of the gorse is in flower all winter and the hive is warm, I wondered how long the bees will keep going to the gorse?

Latest posts

Back