The Food Programme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Direct human consumption as opposed to secondary, it's the same in the UK, animals and poultry are feed huge quantities of GM Soya, Maize etc that's imported and have been for many years. For all I know GM maize is grown in the UK, not up to date on that one.

Chris

Are we not what we eat or is the GM content magically filtered out?

I'm certainly not a fan of GM in any form but I think that once it's been consumed by an animal, digested and metabolised there won't be anything left of the original crop in the flesh of the creature.

Chris

The problem is actually what they do with them afterwards i.e. the dregs. When I was there we saw quite a cloud of insects on the empty containers awaiting "bio-secure" disposal.

The "bio-secure" disposal is the local scrap yard....it is not bio-secure! This where the crushed and unwashed drums go before being sold on. The scrap yard in the north of the county where they used to send the drums (before changing to the local scrappie) was also a disease hotspot.

The "bio-secure" disposal is the local scrap yard....it is not bio-secure! This where the crushed and unwashed drums go before being sold on. The scrap yard in the north of the county where they used to send the drums (before changing to the local scrappie) was also a disease hotspot.
Anybody know if there is any more detail since this report?

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadNews.cfm?id=74

The finding was that 3 of the 29 sites identified had a correlation. Which is no comfort if you're near one of the three. Might have been an interesting topic for the reporter to raise on air with the packers.

Authorised GM crops is a bit vague because AFAIK only GM crops for non human consumption are grown in the EU, animal feeds, industrial uses and so on. GM maize is grown here and it is supposed to be made clear...but....

Chris

From http://www.food.gov.uk/gmfoods/gm/gmanimal

There are therefore twenty-three GMOs that have been authorised under the Regulation for possible use in feed in the EU. This list includes seventeen varieties of maize, two varieties of soya bean, and one variety each of oilseed rape, sugar beet, cotton and potato. These varieties have been produced to have resistance to certain herbicides or insect pests or, in some cases, both, except for the potato which has an enhanced starch content. Further details of these varieties are given in the register on the Commission's website, available through the link at the bottom of this page.

All of these GM varieties have been authorised for import and processing. Only three of them – the starch potato and two of the maize varieties – have been licensed for cultivation...

When the GM Food and Feed Regulation came into force, there were several products on the European market... Five of them have since been authorised under the Regulation, and are included in the list given earlier. Temporary authorisation therefore continues for five varieties of cotton, five varieties of maize, two varieties of oilseed rape, one variety of soya bean and two microorganisms (one variety of yeast and a bacterial strain). This means that there is a total of 38 GMOs that have been authorised or are having the authorisations renewed.

Tricky bit, of course, is that you have to know what you're testing for. That is, you can test a honey sample for specific GM products such as the Mon 810 maize pollen mentioned in the German case but there is no way to test a sample for GMO generically. If other GMOs are authorised each would have to be tested for. We don't test for unauthorised GMOs because they are not authorised and no-one can ever grow an unauthorised GMO can they? http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/pubs/CFSMOnsantovsFarmerReport1.13.05.pdf

Which boils down to the fact the GM brigade are "fighting dirty" and trying every underhand trick to get the frankencrap into Europe by whatever means....

Which boils down to the fact the GM brigade are "fighting dirty" and trying every underhand trick to get the frankencrap into Europe by whatever means....

As if they would. What a suspicious mind you have.;)

Chris

So what about imported honey,will we be waving goodbye to most of that as well.

Maggie will be pleased, yet another Codex Alimentarius type nail in the beekeepers coffin.

Like the American guest said buy local, support your local makers and growers of things.

Because the tridenteen party:cuss: are truly taking a leave of abscence and know no common scence whatsoever.

i could dispose of 1, need a new bbq for work.

how much honey does 1 hold?

According to the boffins, Each barrel holds the same amount of stored energy as 12 adults working for a year, the same as a barrel of crude oil.
When you add up the figures you can see why there is a vested interest in not wanting to have bees to pollenate our natural crops and have frankenfood GM'S instead.

The writing is on the wall and if these sharletons and those who back them get their way its going to be a rough ride for honey farmers the world over.

Next it will be just like the pasturised milk saga, and it will be illegal to sell the honey to anyone at the risk of a heavy fine and profits for the corporations making up the rules today.

We are already 90% importers and 90% electronic credit, you can see where its all heading, but its only a conspiracy, or is it, all will become clear in the fullness of time.

Direct human consumption as opposed to secondary, it's the same in the UK, animals and poultry are feed huge quantities of GM Soya, Maize etc that's imported and have been for many years. For all I know GM maize is grown in the UK, not up to date on that one.

Chris

This might help

ww.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread690894/pg1

For those who have not seen this film yet, THE best film made about what is happening to our food today by one old man from NewZealand called Mike Porter.

One Man One Cow One Planet.

http://w.documentarywire.com/one-man-one-cow

Its also on the tube.

just add two W's for he rule makers.

Well worth watching.

Much as I understand and possibly even applaud your desire to get in stuff about Monsanto et al, it didn't actually relate to my post or the context in which it was used, that's all.

Chris

Latest posts

Back