Th***es 2nd's.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought a few over the years and on the whole they have been satisfactory. Just need to watch out for the odd unplaned piece or the odd badly sited knott that can weaken the structure.

For my first go I wish I had n't it was an extra head ache I could have done without but joinery is not my strong point it took me 2.5 hours to assemble a roof the other day!

Google them and look at their on-line catalogue? Find out first-hand, direct from the horse's mouth, so as to speak? They give some quite detailed descriptions of items and definition of quality (where appropriate).

They only sell 'seconds' in their sales.

I have almost always found them (Th*rne) excellent to deal with. Keep you informed of shortages of items, don't (well, rarely) retain your money for long periods without delivery (like some places) and are honest and up-front if things are/become unavailable for some reason. A paragon example really. And very reliable.

Regards, RAB

I have almost always found them (Th*rne) excellent to deal with. Keep you informed of shortages of items, don't (well, rarely) retain your money for long periods without delivery (like some places) and are honest and up-front if things are/become unavailable for some reason. A paragon example really. And very reliable.

Regards, RAB

:iagree: - for a company in such a dominant position for complete beekeeping supplies I think they react to customers requirements surprisingly well.

Found the seconds fine on the whole, although had a couple of 14x12 brood boxes that were a bit warped but still quite useable (and I'm a rubbish DIYer).

Do they normally have seconds at Stoneleigh?

I started up last year and my national hive was a 2nd from said retailer - it was fine. Although they said it would only have 'live' knots mine had a dry one which fell out - but nothing that a little wood glue couldn't fix. Also the crown board was bowed, but they sent me a new one. Certainly a good option if you want to go with a cedar hive but dont want to pay the full price.

I have had 4 nationals from them and no problems at all, in fact I cannot understand anyone paying full price.

my first hive was a 2nd from mentioned, personally I didnt feel that it was a second, more a case of faulty. I had a knot on a join, which if i hadnt had a little bit of knowledge would have caused a broken joint whilst trying to assemble and a couple of other issues. On the other hand great to see what you need as it is all there and helps to get you used to the set up. Personally get my hives from Hivemaker on here now, he is fairly local to me so worth going up to collect and not a lot more cost wise.

With my first hive I was not impressed that the OMF was just secured in place with drawing pins. Yes I know that it can be replaced but just thought the finishing touches were a little shabby.

However for service with Th**nes they are good and orders over £100 are free if I remeber correctly.

So long as you dont believe in "if at first it doesnt fit . . . Hit it harder!' You will probably be fine with the Th**nes its a cheap set up for you to see if you like it.

couple of seconds brood boxes and some supers last year. Fine if you don't mind a few imperfections and you don't need construction instructions

Similar with frames, pretty good on the whole but expect a minor degree of wastage due to knots. Respect for a company that's prepared to strip out and sell 2nds rather than palm it all off on Jo public as top class

My Th***es seconds are now going into their third season. Seem OK to me - and the bees have not complained!

Google them and look at their on-line catalogue? Find out first-hand, direct from the horse's mouth, so as to speak? They give some quite detailed descriptions of items and definition of quality (where appropriate).

They only sell 'seconds' in their sales.

Regards, RAB

I have to say, having tried to assemble my first super (non-budget) from T's, the instructions are at best unhelpful and at worst, rubbish.

I don't have great knowledge or skill in working wood but assembly I am good at. However, these parts were not a great fit and the instructions very short on plain speaking.

It resulted in me making a mistake I may regret as I could end up breaking the super as I need to resite one of the inner walls.

Pissed off that this should happen, but it was a struggle, far more than I've had with some of the other stuff. Not looking forward to the budget ones now.

I have to say, having tried to assemble my first super (non-budget) from T's, the instructions are at best unhelpful and at worst, rubbish.

I don't have great knowledge or skill in working wood but assembly I am good at. However, these parts were not a great fit and the instructions very short on plain speaking.

It resulted in me making a mistake I may regret as I could end up breaking the super as I need to resite one of the inner walls.

Pissed off that this should happen, but it was a struggle, far more than I've had with some of the other stuff. Not looking forward to the budget ones now.

I sympathise. My woodworking skills are non existent and I had to get a recipe off the internet to help me make my first Thornes brood box. It didn't help that I was making it top space. I made two. One now has a split in it and the other is leaking at a joint. I don't blame the manufacturer or the assembler but the weather........bad this winter.
I have a complete hive from Tom Bick and that is a work of art :) and has not been attacked by the weather.

as I need to resite one of the inner walls.

I thought their instructions were clear. They say dry assemble first to avoid mistakes?

However, your's is no real problem that a router (or even a chisel and mallet!) and a glued-in strip cannot fix.

As an aside, I never use nails for securing the rails, etc. Screws are much more easily extracted.

Another rule for the assemblers (which is often not followed) is 'never fully drive home any nail until the assembler is certain the item is perfectly aligned'

Regards, RAB

as I need to resite one of the inner walls.

I thought their instructions were clear. They say dry assemble first to avoid mistakes?

However, your's is no real problem that a router (or even a chisel and mallet!) and a glued-in strip cannot fix.

As an aside, I never use nails for securing the rails, etc. Screws are much more easily extracted.

Another rule for the assemblers (which is often not followed) is 'never fully drive home any nail until the assembler is certain the item is perfectly aligned'

Regards, RAB

Rab,

The instructions provided with the super are not at all simple, nor equivocal, being open to a degree of interpretation.

I have no mallet, nor router, nor should the be necessary for an item that is 'ready for assembly'. In fact, why the hell should I go to such lengths to correct any manufacturing problems? As I said, I have no woodworking skill/experience but am a dab hand at assembly. This however was not at all straightforward.

It would also have been impossible to have dry assembled this and then broken it apart, as all the joints are very tight indeed. As it is, if I am able to salvage this one, I may have to effect a repair, as a crack has radiated out from one of the joints on an inner wall.

Made up 5 National seconds, without problem. The instructions on first 3 were not that good, but ther later 2 were excellent. Used filler on one only ( a small knot fell out). Excellent value for money. I did by one first quality ( needed it in a rush last year) and the difference was minimal.

Over the past 4 years I've purchased 15 brood boxes + 3 supers for each, along with all the frames required, all seconds from Th***es.
As others have found out a few knots in interesting places, but nothing some glue and a G clamp couldn't fix.
Out of the frames, if I remember correctly, I’ve have to ditch 3 for one reason or another, well within an expectable level for the price paid.

I must admit I can't understand anyone paying the extra for firsts when you can get very good quality seconds.

As for customer service, they have never taken money up front, only taking when the order is dispatched, and have always contacted me if an item was going to take a while in arriving.

As for instructions, is our association the only one to run a "build a hive" morning for those on their beginner’s course?

Rich

I use nothing but T's seconds.

Yes, they can be a bit tricky - but nothing on Ikea!

Our BKA run courses on hive assembly and they are very popular.

As has been said earlier, do a dummy run before nails and glue.

Also, I find having a worked example is a good reminder - so the first one is always a bit iffy.

Finally, I always use metal runners - steam disinfection really distorts the plastic ones that come with the kits

If people need them to go together with no hassle then pay full price. If you dont mind a bit of fettling then buy seconds. All of my hives are seconds and have the odd knot but at the price I take my chances.

I have two hives and all went together with ease, the instructions were no problem once I had read and re-read to make sure it made sense and then once the first was done the second was even quicker

Mark

Latest posts

Back