Th***es 2nd's.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, having tried to assemble my first super (non-budget) from T's, the instructions are at best unhelpful and at worst, rubbish.

I don't have great knowledge or skill in working wood but assembly I am good at. However, these parts were not a great fit and the instructions very short on plain speaking.

It resulted in me making a mistake I may regret as I could end up breaking the super as I need to resite one of the inner walls.

Pissed off that this should happen, but it was a struggle, far more than I've had with some of the other stuff. Not looking forward to the budget ones now.

fit the runner first then follow the on line instruction from M*ismore for their flat packs

basically their way you build the longside and top& bottom bars as a box then push in the shorter side until the top of the rails are the thickness of a frame lug+1mm below the top of the top bar ( use a frame top bar as a guide)

no measuring ,no hassle and you can see at once that the frames fit ok

fit the runner first then follow the on line instruction from M*ismore for their flat packs

basically their way you build the longside and top& bottom bars as a box then push in the shorter side until the top of the rails are the thickness of a frame lug+1mm below the top of the top bar ( use a frame top bar as a guide)

no measuring ,no hassle and you can see at once that the frames fit ok

Thanks, MM. I did go for the box approach, but went back to the plan and it all went pear-shaped. Will check the M/More plans.

If people need them to go together with no hassle then pay full price. If you dont mind a bit of fettling then buy seconds. All of my hives are seconds and have the odd knot but at the price I take my chances.

Veg, my point was I DID pay for the real deal and it has so far come up rather short. Assembly is not reworking those pieces for assembly.

I have a couple more, so I can compare them against the seconds I have from the T sale.

OK, I have a couple or few cramps so I have an advantage, but here is approx how I attack the job of a Th*rne box, or several.

I pull the box together (or bash it together on the floor) but tighten a cramp across to hold it firm and approx square. Frame runners on, then set the frame runners at the correct height with a couple of frames, one at each end. Tighten the cramp a bit so nothing slips, make sure the diagonals are the same (ie box is square) and screw the sides together with the box firmly on a level surface. Job effectively about done really. By the time you have sorted out the first little jobs to be done, like drilling pilot holes before assembling, you may have made a couple boxes but you will soon realise where pilot holes need to be drilled.

So we now have the sides and ends screwed together firmly, frames just level or a smidge below the top edges for bottom bee space, and the box square. I now pull the side bar/sidewall joints together, after loosening a couple screws if necessary and glueing up the joints. Cramps on, check for square and job done that end. Do same for the other side rails. Check box sits level on the flat surface and is square and leave for the glue to cure. Nearly all the Thorne boxes go together pretty well square with no difficulty, but I always check and recheck regularly. No jigs, like the workshop hive makers!

Nail later 'on the tosh', if required and punch below the surface. I actually pilot and screw all the joints (even the screws are sligthly 'on the tosh'), so that I can continue to the next box without waiting for the glue to cure.

As I am top bee space I initially set the frames height with about a 1 mm strip below the frame bottom bars or if I have several to do, I find/make a piece of wood at top bee space thickness and get that level with the top edges.

I pilot and screw the frame runners, so they can be easily removed/replaced if needed. I usually fit them before assembly, if just making the odd box.

When all is cured I clamp the side bars to the walls and screw together (or if I have suitable screws with plain shanks, I just screw them and pull them together, or you could pilot for the screws and then pull the rails and wall tight together). I do not glue the side rails to the walls. Most of the screws are put in slightly on the tosh.

So my boxes are a relative mass of screws (over 30 of various sizes) but I know I could carefully dismantle the whole box if I had to, should I ever need to replace any parts. Not repaired any in ten years.

If you nail the side rails they may well need clamping if there is any gap (seconds are not always straight), nailing on the tosh and probably glued, or filled later. Screws usually do the job very effectively, I find.

With seconds, I always select where the parts are going to go prior to assemlbing any of the boxes, so that any knot will always drain away, not into the wood, is hidden up behind a top rail or whatever it takes to cover as many of the 'seconds' imperfections.

If you must glue the end walls to the side walls you have the screws to locate the parts after disassembly to glue the joints.

The only time I use my tape measure is to check the diagonals for squareness and I do use a large power screwdriver or two. I hope there might be a few helpful tips for the assemblers to make building their hives more easily. I know I don't do it by the book (or the instructions) and I always have a bag of unused nails, but there we are, that is approx how I do it.

RAB

Last edited:
I am new to beekeeping this year, I just bought their bee's on a budget package which, is all the hive parts were seconds, but were of good quality.

I have a good working background in woodworking and intend on making my own hives now I see what is needed.

But I did say to my wife as I was building the hive, that it was not a straight forward job and anyone who had little knowledge of woodworking may find it a hard job to put one together without making a few costly mistakes.

I've never had a "first" frame. Never had a problem that was more than just a broken bottom bar or wedge.

couple of seconds brood boxes and some supers last year. Fine if you don't mind a few imperfections and you don't need construction instructions

I always buy seconds as I figure that the bees dont mind. I have only had one problem with a brood box in which one of the slots was missing. It was replaced without quibble.

All of the instructions are on the Thor***s website. For the first few I downloaded and printed them to have on the bench. After that you dont need them as it really is a repetitive task.

Had Th****s brood boxes arrive lightening quick and wondered why they were so unecological as to pre-assemble the four boxes into squares when I ordered flatpack (previous Maisemore boxes are, now I can compare, much better on several counts).

Because there are so many joints it would have been impossible to disassemble and glue these properly so had to make do with sealing the inside corners. Nailing more fiddly.

The rails are not as good, drawing pins supplied to put roof vents on (swapped for little fencing staples), the handle sections left completely rough etc etc...small detail BUT...

...the joints on these semi-assembled boxes do not line up and cracking is evident in several places already.

Maisemore don't go in for silly little joints so if there were to be a small misalignment then it would be easy to fix.

Not impressed except with their delivery which couldn't be faulted.

Oh and these were firsts....

Last edited:
To all on this thread PM Hivemaker and check against flat packed seconds, the quality is excellent and the whole thing comes ready for frames and bees, I think you can have frames and foundation as well if you want.
Kev.

To all on this thread PM Hivemaker and check against flat packed seconds, the quality is excellent and the whole thing comes ready for frames and bees, I think you can have frames and foundation as well if you want.
Kev.

As I said in my earlier post, Im part of the Hivemaker appreciation society!

Close enough for me to collect as well!

couple of seconds brood boxes and some supers last year. Fine if you don't mind a few imperfections and you don't need construction instructions

Used to be able to download assembly instructions from thxxnes, is link still there?
Cheers
S

Last edited:
where are all these seconds available?

where are all these seconds available?

Read thread title?

But temper it with my comment at post #4

Latest posts

Back