Tapping trees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone ever tried it?

After years of frustration at the amount of sycamore we have growing around here, or more accurately the amount of leaf material and seeds that they spread every autumn, I've decided they must have some use so this week I have tapped about a gallon of sap from each of four of them. I've been boiling it down for the last couple of days. Had to fix the gas bbq first as there was no way I was going to be allowed to do it in the house :D I'm down to about a gallon now, and I reckon it should end up as a little under two pints by the time it's the right percentage of sugar for syrup.

No idea how it will turn out, but if it turns out well I might have to tap a few more before they get into leaf.

James

Reactions: mbc
Well sycamore is a maple
What does it taste like?
It’s not no use though. I bet Curly has sycamore honey.

Well sycamore is a maple
What does it taste like?
It’s not no use though. I bet Curly has sycamore honey.

Fresh from the tree, I'm not sure I could say it was sweet. I think it's only about 0.5% sugar at that point, and completely clear. I'll try to remember to taste it before I restart the burner tomorrow morning.

I could probably have sycamore honey too. There are perhaps as many as four dozen within 100m of my home apiary despite me taking down a dozen this winter to clear some space around the pond. Hmmm. I wonder if sycamore stumps will still produce sap if I tap them?

James

Anyone ever tried it?

After years of frustration at the amount of sycamore we have growing around here, or more accurately the amount of leaf material and seeds that they spread every autumn, I've decided they must have some use so this week I have tapped about a gallon of sap from each of four of them. I've been boiling it down for the last couple of days. Had to fix the gas bbq first as there was no way I was going to be allowed to do it in the house :D I'm down to about a gallon now, and I reckon it should end up as a little under two pints by the time it's the right percentage of sugar for syrup.

No idea how it will turn out, but if it turns out well I might have to tap a few more before they get into leaf.

James
I've got a Norway maple here that I've thought about tapping. Are you able please to share an image of the tap?

My dad used to tap birch trees so my mum could make birch sap wine!

I've got a Norway maple here that I've thought about tapping. Are you able please to share an image of the tap?

I didn't actually use a tap or any kind of spile though I believe you can buy kits online. I found a length of suitable hose and a drill bit to match the outside diameter. A spade bit, in fact, so I could just turn the centre spike into the trunk about a metre up and see if any sap would run. When it did I cut a hole about 5cm deep into the tree, cleared out the waste and pushed the pipe in about 10 or 15mm. The rate of flow varied from tree to tree, but I collected about five litres over 24 hours or so from the fastest. I cut a tapered wooden peg to plug the hole after removing the pipe, though some people say it's not necessary.

To make syrup from maple sap the volume appears to need to be reduced by a factor of about forty. I guess if it can be taken down to the same sugar content as honey then it might keep just as well. I might need a new refractometer for that as my current one is really just for apple juice and I don't think it will read high enough.

James

My dad used to tap birch trees so my mum could make birch sap wine!

I've made a huge amount of my own beer over the years, but I've never really had a lot of success with wine. Except for elderflower champagne. That went quite well.

I could be tempted to try birch syrup, but I've read that you need to reduce the volume of sap by a factor of 100 for birch syrup and I only have one tree at the lower end of the size range that would be viable to tap, so it doesn't really look to be worth the effort.

James

To make syrup from maple sap the volume appears to need to be reduced by a factor of about forty. I guess if it can be taken down to the same sugar content as honey then it might keep just as well.
James

Can't be made as thick honey, as it precipitates out crystals once it's over 67 brix. I boiled maple sap for years, getting up to 5000 taps on tubing. Gave it up for the bees

Anyone ever tried it?

James
I think sycamore are the first major source of nectar of the year for my bees. Never get to harvest any of the honey as it all gets consumed in the June gap.

Anyone ever tried it?

James
Beech sap is used for home wine making so try not try sycamore sap?

I might need a new refractometer for that as my current one is really just for apple juice and I don't think it will read high enough.

Obviously not thought of diluting a small amount, such that the refractometer would register a result?

Can't be made as thick honey, as it precipitates out crystals once it's over 67 brix. I boiled maple sap for years, getting up to 5000 taps on tubing. Gave it up for the bees

You piqued my interest and I just had to try it. Opened up a bottle of maple syrup and used my refractometer and sure enough it was 67 brix.

My hives are shaded by a large silver birch. I’ve noticed sap dripping onto the hives (and me) this year for the first time.
Very clear colourless liquid

My hives are shaded by a large silver birch. I’ve noticed sap dripping onto the hives (and me) this year for the first time.
Very clear colourless liquid

Some people tap trees by snapping the end off thin branches and feeding them into bottles (or running a tube sealed to the branch into a bottle). Perhaps some of the thinner wood on the tree has been broken off by the storms over the last month or so and it's weeping some sap as a result?

James

I tasted my "syrup" this morning, but it still didn't taste of much. I've continued to reduce it today though and I'm now down to three or four litres. It's starting to smell slightly syrupy now. Over the weekend I shall try to filter it and reduce it to the final volume.

James

I tasted my "syrup" this morning, but it still didn't taste of much. I've continued to reduce it today though and I'm now down to three or four litres. It's starting to smell slightly syrupy now. Over the weekend I shall try to filter it and reduce it to the final volume.

James
Will it be worth the effort and the power used to reduce in volume?

Will it be worth the effort and the power used to reduce in volume?

I honestly have no idea. It really is an experiment. However, if it does turn out to be good, we looked at the cost of the cheapest pure Canadian maple syrup we could find and worked out that the same amount as we hope to get would cost about £40. If you wanted organic, which ours effectively is, then it's a fair bit more. All I've used is the scrag end of a small propane bottle that's been sitting in the workshop for years, which won't have cost anywhere near that much.

Even so, assuming it is successful and I want to try again then I'd probably look at more efficient ways of reducing the sap than sticking a big pan on the gas barbie, probably using wood as a fuel as I'd prefer not to burn gas if I can avoid it.

James

Latest posts

Back