Talk about the link between bees and fungi

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting but so many jumps in the reasoning its hard to believe or know what to make of it.

Also a guy who thinks fungi are going to save the world finds these wonderful effect of fungi. Well no surprises there then.

It has been know for years that ant colonies use mycelium and always wondered if bees would benefit from it as they are closely related to ants. There was a documentary about mycelium and fungi a few years ago, I think it was the National geographic channel that explained the science bit a bit better.

It has been know for years that ant colonies use mycelium and always wondered if bees would benefit from it as they are closely related to ants. There was a documentary about mycelium and fungi a few years ago, I think it was the National geographic channel that explained the science bit a bit better.

Bees eate pollen. Wasps eate insects. Some ants cultivate fungi in fresh leaves. Most ants eate animal products.
They get protein and other nutrients from those sources. All use nectar as energy food.

Have you seen bees, wasps or ants eating mushrooms in forest ? Why they have not noticed that during millions years evolution?

Mushrooms are low in energy. You should eate 10 kg mushrooms to get daily rest energy. They are almost water.

Last edited:
So what do ants get out of fungi if they can get better nutritional food elsewhere.

I hope it`s also relevant:--Why Are Bees Foraging on Moss?-

Doubtful. Bees will just prefer accessible warm water over cold.

But those lab tests, if they are correct he may be onto something. What were his bees doing in his fungus patch if not foraging the mycellium? Why did they go back day after day?

Finman;518929[SIZE=1 said:
][/SIZE]They insulate their hives.
(BeeGee has difficult issues]

You love me more than jenkinsbrynmair, I`m afraid. Beware, he can get jealous.
girl_hospital.gif

Latest posts

Back