Syrup recipe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essexgary

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

My bees (finally) arrive tomorrow - I'm just looking for the best syrup recipe - I have a contact feeder but have so far found about 5 different mixes! so can you please help?

1) What is the best mix for autum feeding of a new nuc
2) How much should I put in the feeder at any one time
3) How quickly will a 5 frame nuc need the feeder filling up?

Thanks!
Gary

What kind of bees you get there? Yes, it summer now and bees gather honey to you. Not you to bees.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

My bees (finally) arrive tomorrow - I'm just looking for the best syrup recipe - I have a contact feeder but have so far found about 5 different mixes! so can you please help?

Thanks!
Gary
You don't need to worry about autumn feed until later if your bees need it, they may. How much has you nuc got in honey store's when you get them, have a look. With the weather as its been, with cool wet weather you may need to keep your eye on the reserves. If you find they have no reserves of honey you will need to feed them as they cannot forage enough to keep you colony going, then put on 1 to 1 fed, 1 part suger to 1 part water (warm water to melt the suger, otherwise you will be mixing it all day). Put on as much as you like they will only take what they need. Keep an eye on the weather if your bees are taking in a lot of pollen or the bees are falling flat on the landing board because they are full of nectar then let them take any fed left and they can then depend on themselves. But with a new nuc this time of year they need building up reserves for the winter. Steven

Gary,

You seem to be getting quite a bit ahead of yourself. First things first - have you joined the local beekeeping association. If not, you really must as there is a wealth of experience there to help you. Go to http://************************/directory/index.php/cat/2/local-beekeeping-associations/ and see if one of them fits the bill (daft perhaps but mine isn't there) and if there isn't one that suits, ask around or better still look in local grocers at the local honey on the shelf and find a local beekeeper's telephone number and buzz him/her. Or look in Yellow Pages? Second, got a beekeeping book? Try Ted Hooper's "Guide to Bees and Honey" - a very good read. Cheapest from Amazon. In it you will find syrup (white sugar and water only) recipe strengths according to circumstances. Oh, and be prepared to get stung from time to time.

Good luck.

Last edited:

It don't much matter what mix you give. Maybe give stronger than 1lb sugar to 1 pint water, but not as strong as 2lb sugar to 1 pint water.

Aim to feed your bees pretty continuously to help them build. There is no exact science to it.

But watch the wasps and robber bees. Do not spill any syrup about. Use an entrance block. Fill up the feeder at evening.

Thanks guys. Yes - been on a course, read every book under the sun - am a member of the local BKA (the chairwoman kindly bought around a book on diseases for me to prepare with - so I have a basic knowledge). to be honest, sick to death of justying my existance in the beekeeping world...nevertheless, I go on...

So, my 5 frame nuc arrives tomorrow (graciously driven over by my instructor who is also a breeder who has told me to get some syrup ready).

My thinking was, make some syrup tonight, if they dont need it, I'll throw it. If they need it, I will give it to them. Better i think than waiting until the morning and giving them hot syrup perhaps?

For those that gave me a recipe, THANKS! for those (RAB) with their usual 'cant just answer the question, have to be clever' responses.. thanks anyway.

:smilielol5:

Thanks guys. Yes - been on a course, read every book under the sun - am a member of the local BKA (the chairwoman kindly bought around a book on diseases for me to prepare with - so I have a basic knowledge). to be honest, sick to death of justying my existance in the beekeeping world...nevertheless, I go on...

So, my 5 frame nuc arrives tomorrow (graciously driven over by my instructor who is also a breeder who has told me to get some syrup ready).

My thinking was, make some syrup tonight, if they dont need it, I'll throw it. If they need it, I will give it to them. Better i think than waiting until the morning and giving them hot syrup perhaps?

For those that gave me a recipe, THANKS! for those (RAB) with their usual 'cant just answer the question, have to be clever' responses.. thanks anyway.

Don't ever give hot syrup. Only use warm water to dissolve the sugar.

you don't have to justify your existence in the beekeeping world. You're a beekeeper! enjoy. And remember that if you ask three beekeepers the same question, you get at least four answers. Its a craft, sot a science, and the bees teach us (eventually). Good luckbee-smillie

PS. You'll find that RAB is one of the most learned beeks on this forum. It pays to heed his advise.

Gary?

Forum search for syrup gives this:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=301745

Google search for bee syrup gives this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bee+...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Provided you have some stores in your nuc you will not need syrup.

Not sure why there is an attitude in your post but playing the ball not the player is de rigueur on here.

Glad to hear you are in your local BBKA. I am not. LOL. Glad to hear you are reading. At your stage I would stick to Hooper lest confusion set in.

Enjoy your bees, enjoy the forum.

PH

PS. You'll find that RAB is one of the most learned beeks on this forum. It pays to heed his advise.

I'm sure you're right - but sometimes you need a resident expert who knows everything - and sometimes.... you just need a recipe for syrup.

Gary?

Forum search for syrup gives this:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=301745

Google search for bee syrup gives this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bee+...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Provided you have some stores in your nuc you will not need syrup.

Not sure why there is an attitude in your post but playing the ball not the player is de rigueur on here.

Glad to hear you are in your local BBKA. I am not. LOL. Glad to hear you are reading. At your stage I would stick to Hooper lest confusion set in.

Enjoy your bees, enjoy the forum.

PH

no offence intended. there just seems to be an air of arrogance (from very few on this board) regards new beeks. and, sorry to say, it irritates the hell out of me - those who think they are superior because they have more experience in life. I wonder sometimes how truly committed these people are to seeing brand new beeks make a success of this hobby. I'm lucky, I have really good support - my mentor lives 2 doors away and he's a vet (handy for fixing broken bees knees!) I have spent 6 months learning, reading and trying to develop my knowledge. Sadly, this isn't the first time I have felt patronised on this board in the short time I have been on it.

Anyway, as you've realised by now I like a banter.... all in good intent from my end. Jeez, I'm sounding like I've got a right chip on my shoulder - not true, honestly!

no offence intended. there just seems to be an air of arrogance (from very few on this board) regards new beeks. and, sorry to say, it irritates the hell out of me - those who think they are superior because they have more experience in life. I wonder sometimes how truly committed these people are to seeing brand new beeks make a success of this hobby. I'm lucky, I have really good support - my mentor lives 2 doors away and he's a vet (handy for fixing broken bees knees!) I have spent 6 months learning, reading and trying to develop my knowledge. Sadly, this isn't the first time I have felt patronised on this board in the short time I have been on it.

Anyway, as you've realised by now I like a banter.... all in good intent from my end. Jeez, I'm sounding like I've got a right chip on my shoulder - not true, honestly!

Least said, soonest mended.

Gary. Its not arrogance its experience. Some of these guys have been keeping bees for decades. Sometimes we can come across as curt but, in the main, we are keen to help, and do.

Well Gary I have supported more beginners over the last fifteen years than you can imagine.

I have lectured, run practical weekends, and spent untold thousands of pounds keeping a dream alive.

So to be blunt some manners are appreciated.

I have no idea what online skills are available to you but a basic syrup recipe which you (to be honest do not even need) could have been had from your mentor.

If you read the threads I posted for you then you would have had material to challenge your mentor on the syrup matter.

For info I currently have 23 Nucs and none are on feed. No need.

PH

Back