Swindon Honeybee Conservation Group

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things, firstly don't ever assume that I don't know what is going on in my hives without actually knowing either me or my experience, that would be dumb.

Secondly, and I did ask you before in an e-mail but you declined to answer, where did you get your bees and what did you pay for them?

Simply, any reputable supplier in France wouldn't sell you bees that were "riddled" with varrao AND also all reputable suppliers in France will replace a colony that dies out in the first few months.

Oh, and another question, what type of bees were they?

Chris

Ahh, that word 'reputable'.

There are certainly some in the UK with a reputation. Some have a good reputation (and deservedly so) and some.... rather less than good.

It's a bit like controlling varroa - there are the sheep and there are the ones that think for themselves. There is always a spectrum of ability, application, knowledge and methodology. It is quite a wide spectrum, I believe.

Two things, firstly don't ever assume that I don't know what is going on in my hives without actually knowing either me or my experience, that would be dumb.

Secondly, and I did ask you before in an e-mail but you declined to answer, where did you get your bees and what did you pay for them?

Simply, any reputable supplier in France wouldn't sell you bees that were "riddled" with varrao AND also all reputable suppliers in France will replace a colony that dies out in the first few months.

Oh, and another question, what type of bees were they?

Chris

It is you who does the assuming:
You assumed I was English, you assumed I was male, you assumed I'd only just arrived in France.
Now you assume I bought my bees, and that I bought them riddled with varroa...
I'm not sure what relevance the cost of them, if I'd bought them, has.

No, I haven't assumed anything. I merely quoted Hooper's views.

Chris

Forgive me if it wasn't you Chris who said you never ( or was it rarely?) went into the brood boxes...

Hey ho, you could be right Luminos but I really can't understand why you are being so secretive.. and you did say..

It seems I've had a very dull first season compared with everybody else - no disease, varroa, swarms, thieves, bees behaving badly, or swindling suppliers.
Started with a WBC; have also recently bought another, this time with 14 x 12. So I have some spare equipment.

I have a feeling that my second season will be very different...
Very grateful for the forum.

...in another thread.

Forgive me if it wasn't you Chris who said you never ( or was it rarely?) went into the brood boxes...

That's correct, I rarely go into the brood box, generally only when necessary or if making a split AND I have some colonies that haven't had frames removed from the brood box in 6 or more years. I also have KTB that I just leave entirely to their own devices and don't even remove any honey. However I do have all my senses, eyesight, sense of smell etc and an observational knowledge of bee behaviour. The point here is that it really does work for me and although "Madame Serious Problem" is always waiting round the corner I have never had any issues, (other than those I consider well within acceptability).

There are many ways to keep bees and no one has the right to state that theirs is the only right way, that would be just so, so bigoted, but lets keep to the facts about varroa.

Hey ho, you could be right Luminos but I really can't understand why you are being so secretive.. and you did say..

...in another thread.

That's correct, I rarely go into the brood box, generally only when necessary or if making a split AND I have some colonies that haven't had frames removed from the brood box in 6 or more years. I also have KTB that I just leave entirely to their own devices and don't even remove any honey. However I do have all my senses, eyesight, sense of smell etc and an observational knowledge of bee behaviour. The point here is that it really does work for me and although "Madame Serious Problem" is always waiting round the corner I have never had any issues, (other than those I consider well within acceptability).

There are many ways to keep bees and no one has the right to state that theirs is the only right way, that would be just so, so bigoted, but lets keep to the facts about varroa.

Read it properly, please:
I said, "I seem to have had a dull 1st season COMPARED WITH EVERYONE ELSE - no disease, varroa, swarms, thieves, bees behaving badly, or swindling suppliers".
Meaning, I had had none of these things.

Quote: "However I do have all my senses, eyesight..."

Ahem - clearly not. :D

Oh dear, what was that about the ball Luminos?

You see, when people are as secretive as you, even when I was trying to help you by e-mail regarding the French Health System after you inquired, I wonder who or what they are hiding from, however I don't do personal.

For my part I happily use my own name, well, I would wouldn't I? I'm quite well known with all that brings with it.;)

Anyway, I wish you every success with your bees when you get them and look forward to reading your posts Luminos.

So, on topic, the reality is that bees can and do survive long term in France, (probably in the UK as well), without treatments BUT colonies do fail from various causes as we would expect just like everything else in the living world that runs it's course.

Must do some proper work now.

Chris

Latest posts

Back