Swarming Has Begun!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I checked on my buzzing bees last wednesday and found many play cups no eggs or wetness to them, anyway story short i pulled them all down and place my second super on.

Today i went to check again being 1 week to find 15-20 more queen cells this time all little ones along the top bars/bottom bars/side bars, none in the middle where a mistook a supercedure cell last year for a swarm and pulled it down resulting in a bad year. Every cell has a egg in but not yet any royal jelly, due to not having my order arrive i didn't have my poly nucs ready for this moment so i had to improvise.

They had 2 stores 9 brood in brood box, 4 stores 7 brood in super and a full super of stores in second super.

I had a rotting brood box/roof/floor left at apairy, it is dry just a bit worse for where but it will do for now until nucs arrive and i can transfer.

I place 2 capped brood + bees, 2 stores + bees, 1 frame with 2 queen cells (not capped) + bees. The queen cell frame was not capped brood it was larvae so i'm expecting many emergency cells to be made. I then also shock 5 super frames of nurse bees into the hive as well. I place 2 dummy boards, 2 drawn comb brood frames + 2 new frames to give them room to expand or more stores.

I stuffed the entrance with grass to keep bees i for a bit just so they can have a little moving in party before to encourage the older bees to stay.

In the original hive i placed 3 drawn brood frames and 2 new brood frames back in to compensate the brood/stores taken + a new super on top because the only space they had was the 5 frames i just put in.

Atm they seem to be drawing out and filling a whole super in a week, not capped but they starting to cap which means they out of room cause they need space to fill whilst honey cures.

Now i'm thinking of waiting a couple days, then possibly order me a mated queen possibly carnie. So i can convert national frames to langstroth and transfer to the new nucs and pull down any emergency cells and placing new mated queen in cage inside nuc.

Or should i just transfer and let nature take course, problem is i think this early in year if i don't have a mated queen in there now it will severely effect there build up later in year, you agree?

Not a bad day :D I'm happy my queen is prolific atm and hive getting a good build up.

Oh btw saw the queen strutting her bum about the frame so she hasn't left :D.

No interest in bait hives :(.

Latest posts

Back