swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenibee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
my prolific queen swarmed yesterday, this was after adding a second brood box 3 weeks ago and a super 2weeks ago. had been checking for queen cells. managed to collect her in a poly nuc. all bees followed. after about 90 mins went to put some foundation in as on had two drawn comb in there and did not want brace comb. found they had all gone. not to be seen again.

Swarms often abscond when they are hived. At our out apiary we had a swarm that absconded every time it was put in a hive. The answer as I understand it is to put a queen excluder under the brood chamber or in front of the nuc entrance but the queen is slimmed down for flying so she may escape.

I've never had to deal with it on my own but that is what I remember from helping with our apiary management team.

Sorry to hear about it though :(

M

Quite right, I have lost one or two like that... A queen excluder for 48 hours under the bb seems to solve the problem.
E

Clearly the facts. Can you expect much else? Is there a question to this thread?

Not really surprised. Half of a large double brood colony, with a super, into less than a quarter of the original space? Bees are not stupid; they clearly had a better place to go to.

Got a swarm that has been sitting 20 ft up in a Portugues Laurel in my garden that has been there overnight since 11 am or so yesterday. I don't think it is from my hives 20 ft below though it is possible that one of my clipped Q's has gone for a walk I suppose but she ain't going nowhere and the bees don't seem to want to go anywhere soon. either An alternative could be a virgin Q from one of 3 emerged cells I saw in one of my boxes when I looked yesterday. Any suggestions? I'm too old to climb ladders to get up there so I've invited a Collector to come but ain't heard nuthin yet. - and they are still there.

Last edited:
Put out a couple bait hives? Be sure they are big enough to accommodate the swarm.

At 6m+, I'm not entirely surprised that a collector may have declined your offer. Perhaps he thinks you might want the bees, if collected, and would feel obligated to offer them to you out of politeness, after capture!

Pastures New

Yes, some bees really do seem to be determined to go on a trip.

I housed one swarm five miles from their old site and gave them plenty of food when the weather turned bad.

A week later, they finished the food and absconded - ingrates!

Put out a couple bait hives? Be sure they are big enough to accommodate the swarm.

At 6m+, I'm not entirely surprised that a collector may have declined your offer. Perhaps he thinks you might want the bees, if collected, and would feel obligated to offer them to you out of politeness, after capture!

That's a thought. Can't bother with bait hives - no lemon grass oil in wife's kit and always a long shot and might be duff Q anyway. Will try another collector and hope he offers it to me if the Q worth it. I'll willingly pay him if SWMBO doesn't intercede if I spend her pension instead of mine. Might trim the tree too in case there is another similar event before I snuff it.
:ohthedrama:

Just received my copy of "The Essex Beekeeper," which, on the front cover has a picture of the ideal solution for you! It is an upside down plastic water container with base removed (the type used for office water coolers), which is attached to a long telescopic pole (the end of the pole should fit through the bottle neck to make a solid fit), the type used by radio hams. Extend under the swarm, a good shake and hey presto! Good luck

Latest posts

Back