Swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutney

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 - national boxes in WBC outers
I'm a novice in my 2nd year of beekeeping and don't understand quite what has happened, or what I should have done.

This morning I received a call to say the hive I keep at a shared out-apiary had swarmed. When I got there the "swarm" was a cluster of about 500-1000 bees on the outside of the hive around the ventilation cone, just under the roof overhang - it's a WBC hive with National boxes inside.

I swept them into a nuc, and checked the hive. There was no sign of any Q cells, but I didn't see the queen either.

I had been feeding this hive since I removed the supers last Tuesday. At that time there wasn't much in the way of brood or stores in the brood and a half. There was nothing in the supers either (I had put them back on wet after extracting honey at the end of July).

I brought the nuc home and gave 2:1 syrup.

Should I wait a week before doing anything else? Does anyone know what might have happened?

John

You didn't drop your remote phone in the box did you?

I would drop a frame of eggs from another colony to see if it has a queen or not???

The question is.... Is there a queen in the nuc? That will probably give you more clues than anything about what is going on!
E

Latest posts

Back