Swarm prevention by not extracting honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust on your own brains

My own brains tell me that if I want to minimize extracting, and reduce work on the hives generally, not treating for varroa would be a good place to start. But that can be a bit obvious. Having a nice endemic dose of nosema should do the trick; and none of that boring microscope work either.

My own brains tell me that if I want to minimize extracting, and reduce work on the hives generally, not treating for varroa would be a good place to start..

If you do not treat varroa, hive will not swarm.
Minimize extracting.... Sell your extractor

. Amen

its simple, it's just nature, as an example..

if you leave a male and a female rabbit together in a field with plenty of food, water and shelter, when they have a nice little family going they stop breeding, the drive to procreate dissipates... oh no wait that's not right? :leaving:

The only thing I have found is checkerboarding the honey frames for swarm prevention by Michael Bush. Any experience anyone.

I look only topmost brood box. I do not have excluders and Queen cells may be everywhere. But they are allways in topmost brood box.

The only thing I have found is checkerboarding the honey frames for swarm prevention by Michael Bush. Any experience anyone.

This is another of those crazy ideas that Fatbeeman goes on about. It might work in the southern US states, but, try that in your Welsh climate and see how it goes for you (actually don't!)

Zero methods available on this planet. whoever if you are living on cloud nine or ten there may be something up there with the fairies

I would end up with queen cells.

You'd end up with lots of emergency cells just like fatbeeman does (which he keeps bragging about selling them for $25 a pop). That is....if your bees were strong enough to do it.
From what I have read in this forum, the welsh weather can be very unreliable (even more so than mine). Under these circumstances, do you really want to be putting frames of foundation (or even drawn comb) between alternate frames of bees? OK so you would probably get away with it if there was a strong nectar flow on and it was warm enough. How often do you get these conditions? Possibly towards the end of July?

This is another of those crazy ideas that Fatbeeman goes on about. It might work in the southern US states, but, try that in your Welsh climate and see how it goes for you (actually don't!)

Well checker boarding was first described for supers was it not?

But what do you do with all the honey you accumulate.

But as the binman only posted to wind everyone up - why are we worrying about it. Unless we're concerned about the early onset of senile decay.

Well checker boarding was first described for supers was it not?

I read what checkerboarding is. IT is impossible in our short summer and in very short spring.

Artificial swarm is very easy to handle the swarm fever. It takes about one hour and I get two boxes new combs.

Michael Bushes beekeeping is full of art and imagination.

Now I renewed the genepool of my apiary because the swarminb went too far.
Foresg Carniolans spoiled the apiary. Me too, when I tried that I could get profilic crossings from those wild Carniolans. But crossings explosed in hands.

You take the honey off and create starvation swarming, your honey surplus goes in the freezer and the frames are fed back to all the splits you make next spring:D

That is a joke what my humour does not understand

Latest posts

Back