Swarm landed in a traffic cone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone had this challenge? How did you get them out?
The swarm ignored three Ritz hotels and decided to sleep rough in a traffic cone. There was a swarm in there a few years ago so there were still old bits of combs.
I checked this evening - the cone is full of bees. I want to get them into a proper hive.

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 21.57.41.png

They are open at the bottom. I'd just pick it up an solidly bang the base onto the top of an open brood box (with floor), hopefully dislodge most of the bees and the queen). Add frames of foundation and a crown board & roof. Leave it next to to cone and tip that over and wait for the rest of the bees to go into the brood box. Move in the evening.

saw much the same last year on the M4 near Cardiff - they were doing tree clearance (I know the tree fellers- although actually there's only two, father and son) and they found a newly settled swarm in a discarded traffic cone amongst the trees.

Last edited:
Anyone had this challenge? How did you get them out?
The swarm ignored three Ritz hotels and decided to sleep rough in a traffic cone. There was a swarm in there a few years ago so there were still old bits of combs.
I checked this evening - the cone is full of bees. I want to get them into a proper hive.

View attachment 26429
Bee Quick?

Managed to move them into the TBH, but not without a struggle. The combs, both old and new (just two days) did a good job of stopping them falling out. Wish I'd used my blower to simply blow them out. Hope the queen is doing OK. I'll leave them for a day or two and look for her.

They took a while to build this (perhaps as the temperatures dropped just as I moved them). It's been warmer recently and they seem to be making good progress. A very small swarm I think, for the first few days they bunched up into a blob the size of a big coffee mug.

Should I even bother looking for the queen at this early stage or leave them to get on with it. Getting them out of the cone was quite rough and I'm nervous that we could have hurt her - but would they be building their comb like this without a queen?

IMG_2902.jpeg
IMG_2911.jpeg

Latest posts

Back